Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Luxaire or Rheem?

Posted by owls4me (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 20:47

Please provide feedback on the 2 bids I am considering. I have ruled out Lennox, Armstrong, Carrier for various reasons including service within my area.

Located in SE Wisconsin, 2nd floor replacement so @1600 sq. ft. (1st floor is 2600 sq. ft. with a cathedral entry) Heavy foliage in summer months w/ low AC usage
Replacing: 3.0 ton 30 yr. old AC, not sure of furnace size but also 30 yr. old
Unit is horizontal and to existing duct work in concrete 5 ft. tall basement.

Luxaire LX series 60,000 BTU 2-stage variable speed 96% efficient (can go next size up for $100 more)
Luxaire 2.5 ton 13 Seer AC
Aprilaire humidifier
Relocate 2 ducts to existing horizontal ducting for better airflow to NW bedroom
$6000

Rheem RGTM 07 2-stage w/ECM
RHCTST 213 Thermostat
Rheem 2.5 ton 13 Seer AC
Rheem steam humidifier 06
$7600

Both bids include permits, coil, line set, slab, piping, wiring, old equipment removal, media filter and (what am I missing?)

Should I ask for a bid on the Luxaire modulating series? The Rheem 12 stage was out of my price range. I will be replacing the downstairs units in the next two years or when they give out. They are 10 years newer and recently serviced.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Luxaire or Rheem?

Do you have any model numbers for the Luxaire?

o

TM9V060B12MP11A I believe it is a V and not an X since it is 96% efficiency.

Thanks, the model number is not on the quote so I'll make sure to ask and get it in writing.

o

owls4me

where will furnace be placed?

post back.

IMO

o

Tigerdunes, furnace unit is horizontal and to existing duct work in concrete 5 ft. tall basement above the frost line. AC is on SW corner of the house.
Thanks. What are your thoughts?

o

owls

I see nothing wrong with the Luxaire. Post the mdl number of both the AC condenser and matching evap coil. I do recommend a good 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet, new lineset, and correct thermostat for full furnace functionality.

IMO

o

Luxaire is good stuff. Their heatpumps/Ac's have alot of features. Compressor jacket, scroll compressor. Their heatpumps have demand-defrost and low/high pressure controls. . I would consider upgrading A/C to heatpump for the milder cooler days.

o

Model #s!!!

Rheem has cheap and deluxe. So does Lux. Some of their low end units don't even have scrolls which is very rare in this day & age.

o

Below I've reposted the systems and included all the model numbers I know. I'll need to call each company for any missing one. I also need to get more details on each filter system.

Luxaire LX series TM9V060B12MP11A 60,000 BTU 2-stage variable speed 96% efficient (can go next size up for $100 more)
Luxaire TCGD30S41H1 2.5 ton 13 Seer AC
Horz. Coil (will call for model number)
I need to ask about Thermostat as current bid does not include one.
Aprilaire humidifier
Relocate 2 ducts to existing horizontal ducting for better airflow to NW bedroom
$6000

Rheem RGTM 07 2-stage w/ECM
RHCTST 213 Thermostat
Rheem value series model: 13AJM 2.5 ton 13 Seer AC
Rheem steam humidifier 06
Rheem RCFL Horz. coil
$7600

Thanks for everyone's imput. It helps me fill in the details.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here