Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtmc

Variable vs 2 Stage

vtmc
9 years ago

Recently my HVAC system died and I am trying to decide between two different Carrier Infinity dual fuel systems. One of them has a Variable Speed Modulating Gas Furnace and a 15 SEER 3.5 Ton Heat Pump. The other system has a two stage and 16 SEER 4 ton. The quotes I received are 1k different in price with the two stage 16 SEER being more expensive. I really do not know much about these systems and for some reason the few people I have asked are split between whether a variable or 2 speed is better. I live in the DC area would greatly appreciate which system might be better, planning to stay in the home for 10+ years. And, is the latter worth 1k more if it is better. Thank you in advance for any responses.

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

First I would like to see model numbers specifically for the HP condensers quoted. Also the model numbers of the evap coil quoted.

What size gas furnaces are quoted?

What is your nat gas price/therm?

What is your electric price/KWH?

You will get a higher degree of comfort with the modulating furnace. It operates in small increments based on heat load demand between a range of 40-100% of output. While the other Infinity furnace is strictly two stages, a low stage and a high stage.

My choice would be the modulating furnace and forget the HP condenser and pair with a two stage AC condenser. Both systems would require the Infinity controller for best operation and functionality. At the minimum, I would add a pleated box filter media cabinet.

IMO

• vtmc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks like one has a 59MN7*080 gas furnace and a two stage 16 SEER heat pump condenser 25HNB648. The other has Gas Furnace Model 59MNTA080V21 and 15 SEER 3.5 Ton Heat Pump Model 25HNB542A. Assuming average gas and electric do you think it is worth 1k more for the first one?

• vtmc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry the first has coil - CNPVP4821 and the second CARRIER Evaporator Coil Model CNPVP4221

• mike_home
    9 years ago

I don't think you should be spending money on a heat pump when you are buying a furnace that is rated with 98.5% efficiency.

Gas and electric rates vary greatly throughout the country. You need to learn how to read your gas and electric bill. I think for the DC area the gas furnace at the current rates will cost less to operate than the heat pump.

You have been quoted the top two Carrier furnaces. Both are very nice. The extra $1K is just not going towards the furnace. You are also comparing a single stage vs. 2-stage heat pump. Get quotes with AC only condensers and save money.

• vtmc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been told by a couple of people that the weather in our area makes this set up better. I need to look into this more. If I did decide between the two do you think the extra 1k would be worth it and is that design better?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

I think either furnace would be fine.

I think adding a HP would be a waste of money especially with the modulating furnace.

Provide your all inclusive rates and I will provide a down and dirty fuel comparison analysis for you.

IMO

• vtmc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been told by a couple of people that the weather in our area makes this set up better. I need to look into this more. If I did decide between the two do you think the extra 1k would be worth it and is that design better?

• mike_home
    9 years ago

"I have been told by a couple of people that the weather in our area makes this set up better."

Better in what sense? Did they say you would be comfortable or it would be more economical?

When furnaces were rated at 78% and gas prices were higher, it may have been more economical to operate the heat pump during mild winter days. Today we have very efficient furnaces and low gas prices, so in most parts of the country the heat pump costs more to operate. In addition the fully modulating furnace will be more comfortable than any conventional heat pump.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!