Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
central air not cooling after addition

Posted by rlthomas7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 11 at 20:21

In the late summer and into the fall, we had an addition put on our home. When the construction was finished we were into heating season, and we use a different heat source than our air. Now that it's getting hot, we've uncovered the central air unit, opened the vents, turned on the air and it's blowing, but not cooling. Is there a magic switch that one of the workers might have hit at some point during construction? I'm going to call our GC in the morning, but it's not now and I thought maybe I could fix this on my own. The addition was not so big that the unit wouldn't be able to cool the whole house, at least after running for an hour or two. Any suggestions are welcome! It's a carrier unit, if that helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: central air not cooling after addition

Ditto the previous reply, verify that your outdoor unit is running first. If it is, and you're just having warm air recirculate, you could have a number of different issues. First and foremost, make sure you filters (furnance filters, return air filters) are clean. There's some other tips on the issue here.

Hope that helps!
Bill

o
RE: central air not cooling after addition

make certain the compressor is running, not just the top condenser fan. you should be able to hear the difference.

post back and let us know outcome.

IMO
Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here