Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natural gas heat- outage- generator or not?

Posted by carol23 (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 20:14

I recently attended an HOA meeting where there was talk about having natural gas lines run through the subdivision.

One homeowner stated you do not need a generator to operate a certain type of natural gas heater when the power goes out. I've not heard of such a heater and would like to know if any of you have.

Every homeowner I've met that won't put up with outages has a generator.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natural gas heat- outage- generator or not?

gas fireplace?

o

Be careful. Don't know for sure if this is standard, but I've seen a gas fireplace where the gas supply (solenoid valve) and ignition are electrically controlled.

Also, you want to have them operating in a room with adequate window ventilation as it may not be vented to the outdoors. Higher BTU input (than kitchen range) means more exhaust product being generated.

V

o
RE: re: Natural gas heat- outage- generator or not?

ADDENDUM:

Regarding a generator. A simple generator would likely have no problem operating a fireplace as described above, as it is a simple on/off circuit.

If you are thinking down the road of the possibility of having a gas furnace, then a run-of-the-mill unit could fail to operate it properly. In addition to on/off control, most new(er) furnaces have electronic control boards. Less expensive generators may not produce a 'pure' sine-wave output, such as gotten from the home's power outlets. In some cases, they have been known to damage the control boards.

V

o

I've had a few gas fireplaces that operate without power - I think that is pretty standard now. Also all the newer ones have been direct vent which have zero ventilation issues. The igniters have all been battery operated.

I think it would be easier to have a generator than come up with a system that doesn't use electricity. I've seen one but it was old and used very large ductwork to carry the heat around the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here