Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa02_gw

SF Bay Area- replacing floor/wall furnace- with?

lisa02
11 years ago

We're in contract on a small house (1400 sf) - split level design that currently has a floor furnace (which the home inspector said today is a safety hazard for multiple reasons that he found in the crawl space) on the main level and a wall furnace on the upper level (no heating in the lower level - with a 'bonus' room and bath that we intend to use as master bed/bath).

I have had a good experience with a minisplit in our previous house for a garage conversion... I am trying to figure out our options so I'm able to have a good conversation wtih the HVAC vendors we'll ask.

So far, in my limited research:

1. REplace floor furnace and live with wall furnace until it needs replacing (probably cheapest option).

2. Minisplit with multiple wall units (we'd have to figure out how to handle the upstairs 3 bedrooms with just one (maybe two wall units up there- the rooms are small...)

3. baseboard heating of some sort-- not sure how expensive that would be to run piping.

4. install forced air- not sure how to run ductwork for 2nd level as there is not much attic space up there.

Thanks for any advice! I did do some searches- but much of what is posted doesn't seem as relevant to california...

Comments (2)