Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rascalmj

Air filtration/cleaning.... am I missing something?

RascalMJ
10 years ago

The last couple years I have been pricing a complete overhaul of my HVAC system only to realize I don't really want to fork over the money when the system is working well (occasional issues, replace blower motor,new thermostat, replace capacitor...etc).

I know eventually I will need to replace it, but gonna tough it out until I need it.

Anyway, the one constant is the sales guys are always pushing a 4" media "cabinet". Typically an AprilAire 2000 (or similar). Of course I am always interested in BIGGER and better so the AprilAire 5000 intrigues me as it actually "does something else"...which leads me to my question. Are most of the other AprilAire (and similar) just cabinets that hold a 4" media filter. It sure seems that way....

So, if that is the case, why can't I just extend the 1" slot that I currently have to allow it to except the 4" media filter. the "cabinet" can't really "do anything" can it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (3)

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

A custom 4-5" filter rack isn't all that uncommon.

I do prefer/recommend the Honeywell F100 though.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Sat, May 4, 13 at 1:20

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The problem with having an open slot in the return is that it will cause a significant amount of air leakage. It is not so bad if the furnace is located in a conditioned part of the house. It means less air will be pulled from the return vents and possibly air noise. But if the furnace is in the attic, then you are pulling in cold or hot air, and dust through the slot.

If you make a slot see if you can also make a door out of sheet metal to seal it.

• RascalMJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

System is currently in basement (partially finished).

now there is just an open slot and I slide in the filter, obviously not air tight...but doesn't seem to be bad. Of course I know that will get worse the bigger the slot, but figured it was worth a shot....and maybe I could just use some tape or fashion a door of sorts.

...and if I mess up too bad, I can just buy the "cabinet" from AprilAire or Honeywell (mentioned above)

Hhhhmmm, I just thought of something though. My current filter size is 14X20X1. So far most of what I am seeing is 16X or more.

This post was edited by RascalMJ on Sat, May 4, 13 at 16:36

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations