Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dye Testing Costs

Posted by Congo01 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 18:55

Please excuse my ignorance.

Apparently my air unit went out. The technician believes there was a leak, but could not find it. He advised putting a dye in the system so that it would spray it out and he would locate it.

He charged me $382.00 for this process. Is this a normal fee for what appears as a simple process?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dye Testing Costs

die cost money, so does labor and gasoline. 382. yea a little costly especially for a procedure that probably won't work unless leak is very visible. Chances are the leak is in the evap coil or a bad weld at instal. To put it in perspective The last die leak test I did, I did for free and sure enough no luck. I told the homeowner next was an isolation test. In the meantime IV drip. That system is only 2 yrs old. Bad luck for HO. Leak is probably in lineset where they might have punctured hole in it.I have flexibility cause i don't have to anwser to unruly boss.

o

Was the leak found and repaired? How old is this system?

o

" but could not find it". In other words making money for the boss.

o

Problem with dye is that it only works if you can see the leak. It basically just highlight the minor leaks that you may miss. If he can't find it with the bubbling tester chances are not much better that he will find it with dye. Isolating and pressure testing with nitrogen will be the best way to find where the leaks are but it will cost a lot more than dye.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here