Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopefulnovice

Choosing a new Bryant system

hopefulnovice
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is a great forum - I've learned a ton reading through back posts today.

We need to replace an old, 2-ton AC system (1983!). Our long-time AC company is a Bryant dealer. They've given us two choices:

1. Evolution series. Bryant 186b A024000 model, with a FE4ANF002 air handler. Price after rebate $6260. SEER 16

2. Preferred series. Bryant 126bNA024000, with an FXDNF025700 handler. 15.3 seer. $5970, no rebate.

My questions:

- Are these good, reliable systems?

- Are these prices reasonable?

- Should I be getting additional quotes from other companies, or go with these guys who have done our ACs for so long?

Thank you for any advice!

Katherine

Comments (7)

• ryanhughes
    11 years ago

Hi Katherine,

I think the prices seem very reasonable. It's good that you're using a company that you have been doing business with for a long time and have (presumably) had positive experiences with. Brayant makes good systems in my opinion, and people will have different opinions. You can get another estimate if you want to get a better idea of the pricing in your area as well as what other dealers have to offer. If you've been treated well by one company for a number of years, I would give them strong consideration in doing the installation (as I'm sure you are), hoping they would provide a quality installation. But I would not limit your options to Bryant equipment -- or one company necessarily.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Katharine

Both of the systems quoted are matching systems according to the AHRI AC Directory.

However, the first system is the nicer system.

Several questions though.

What is your location?

How do you heat? With what fuel and it's cost?

I personally think the prices are high strictly for an AC system with air handler.

Post back.

IMO

• ryanhughes
    11 years ago

My mistake for not realizing the models quoted were straight A/C. I would agree that the prices are a bit high given that they aren't heat pumps. Best to get another estimate or two from a local dealer to get an idea of the price ranges in your market.

• hopefulnovice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses! Yes, you are right - they are straight AC systems. We have an oil burning furnace for heat, and oil costs about $3/gallon around here if I remember correctly. We live in the DC metro area, where it seems like everything is more expensive.

When you guys say "high" - do you mean like 10% higher, or more like 25%+?

I do want to give preference to a company we have a longstanding relationship with. But I also want to keep my good relationship and not feel I've been taken for a ride!

Thanks again for taking the time to chime in. Very much appreciated.

• neohioheatpump
    11 years ago

If you have oil heat currently, why wouldn't you get heat-pumps instead of straight A/C? Oil heat is very expensive and often the heat from heatpumps is pretty in-expensive if you have reasonable electric prices. You could probably use your heatpumps to handle the majority of you heating needs like when above 30 degrees.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Do you access to natural gas? If yes than you should consider a conversion. You must be paying more than $3 a gallon for oil.

Do you have an oil fired furnace or boiler? Do you have baseboard/radiators or forced hot air? If you do have a furnace, then why a separate air handler for the AC?

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Katherine

I assume you really meant to say oil fired boiler not a forced air furnace.

Please confirm.

You definitely want to change the quote to a heat pump to leverage your electric cost against the more expensive oil cost.

Post back.

IMO

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor