Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New windows and air conditioner

Posted by Lynnlovesoldstuff (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 18:01

Hi all,

We just put new ($$$$) windows throughout our house. Now it's time to put up the air conditioners and I am freaked out about putting the window units in the new wooden windows. Should I worry? Is there some kind of frame or air conditioner "condom" that I can use to prevent any damage to the windows? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New windows and air conditioner

Is that the only word you can use to describe your Needs? Get central air and heat and forget the window units.

o

Some window units have a 'shell' or casing that is permanently mounted to the outside of the window. This is vendor/model specific.

Otherwise I would say that it is model and window specific. Withoug seeing what you have, I couldn't really say.

o

Heatseeker,

I'm sorry if I offended you. We cannot do central air because we heat the house with solid fuel (wood pellet) and do not have the necessary duct-work.

Weedmeister,

thank you for your suggestions.

o

Look into heat pump mini-splits.

o

some window units come with braces that support the
weight of the unit on the exterior of the wall.
this takes the weight off the window unit and distributes
it on the wall. usually by putting a piece of lumber
between siding of house and support braces.
then the window closes to the top of the unit & pull out
pieces on the side of the window close the unit to
the sides of the windows.
hard to describe, but look at pics on window
unit boxes.

I think hd and lowes sells these braces seperately.
go talk to them & see what they have.

best of luck.

o
ducted air conditioning systems sydney

The ultimate in climate control for your family, even during continuous periods of hot and humid weather, can be provided by add-on air conditioning.

Here is a link that might be useful: ducted air conditioning systems sydney

o

You afforded new windows time for new central ac system.

o

The area of most potential damage is where the air conditioner sitting on the window frame and sill. You will probably need to custom build something to put underneath the unit. It could be something simple the a one thick piece of wood shelving. It would be better if it were a plastic material in the event it gets wet. You may for to stuff in some foam insulation to block any voids.

Make sure the unit has a slight tilt toward the outside. This will allow condensation to drip outside and not inside.

o

maybe they afforded new window and
only need a/c 3 of 12 months.

o

Thank you all for your help. It's true that we only need AC for a short time each year. Our house is in Michigan and is surrounded by trees. However, when it's hot, it's HOT. I will check on these various suggestions.

We are thrilled with the new windows and saw tremendous energy savings this winter. They are worth every penny. Thanks again.

Lynn

o

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/ContentView?pn=Installing_a_Window_AC

here is a hd link that shows window unit brackets.

about what % of savings did you see with new windows?
in my area 14% is the average savings. this is
with .30 shgc & ufactors.
what type of windows did you install?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here