Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New construction with radiant, should I install high velocity AC

Posted by Liberty2 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 17:43

Building a new home, 4500sq ft and will have radiant heat. Home will be in long island ny, It will be mostly ranch with high ceilings in most rooms that should allow heat to rise and fans.. Can anyone comment on if I should go high velocity or a standard duct system to cool the home?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New construction with radiant, should I install high velocity

High velocity is really for retrofit - it is more expensive and not as good. High ceilings are great and so are fans but a/c is a lot about humidity anyway.

o

I hope you and your building professionals are planning on putting your ducts inside the house envelope.

o

Ionized - while that is ideal, if they were in a crawl space or unfinished basement and only used for a/c, that really isn't a big deal.

o

If the crawl space is sealed and within the envelope of the building, I would agree. If not, the the ducts are outside and that is generally something to avoid.

o

Hi David Cary. Ionized is right. I have two beach houses, both with unsealed crawl spaces and the a/c ducts are in them. If the crawl space smells bad, the a/c smells bad. I have smart vents in one of the houses so was able to install a high efficiency dehumidifier which has done the job of keeping the moisture low enough to reduce the odor. Also, be careful what kind of insulation is used in the crawl space (between floor joists). In one of our homes, Dow Pink Panther was used and it smells like cat urine when it gets damp!

We have high velocity in our city home (retrofit 120 yr old house). We are very happy with it but I wouldn't install it in a new build, It's expensive, loud and not as efficient as a standard system. You can really hear the air rushing out of those small ducts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here