Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billwin01

New Evaporator Coil & Condenser - Please Help

billwin01
9 years ago

Hello - looking for some help here!

2300 sq ft house, 2 AC zones - split system (I believe they're called) - one is new, one is old. The upstairs evaporator coil and condenser were replaced about a year ago by the previous home owner.

Now ... Start of the summer season and I noticed that the downstairs AC wasn't cooling below 80 degrees as it got hotter in the day. Checked air temp from the vent and was only a 10 degree split. Called our Home Warranty company which scheduled a local company to come out and they found a leak in the evap coil (in garage). Home warranty company says they will replace the evap coil but not the outside condenser.

So my options are:

1) Replace evap coil and leave current condenser (costs me no money out of pocket) - but I'm told if the condenser goes out (it is original unit, 16 years old), I would need to replace condenser and the evap coil again. Roughly $5k.

2) Replace the evap coil and the condenser with a new 410a unit. I am being quoted $2,440 for a 3 ton Bryant 410a unit. The home warranty company is paying for the evap coil replacement - so no cost to me on that.

Questions:

Does all of this sound correct? And how is the pricing on the Bryant unit at $2,440? I called around to a few places and they don't seem to give any pricing unless you have them come out to the house.

The unit that was replaced a year ago by the previous owner is a Rheem unit - does it matter if the two zones are different brands? Is Rheem better than Bryant or should I be looking at anything different?

Any feedback on the best way to proceed?

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

Comments (13)

• clocert
    9 years ago

First let's make sure if you have 2 seperated AC systems, or one system which control 2 zones. Another word, do you have 2 condensers or 1 condneser ?

• billwin01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi. Two separate ac systems (have 2 condensers and 2 furnaces, etc). 1 controls upstairs and 1 downstairs.

I just talked to another ac guy today and he advised me to replace the coil (replaced by home warranty, pay nothing out of pocket) and be done with it for now ... and he said down the line I can still replace the condenser with either r 22 or convert to r410a. He seemed pretty darn sure that converting to r410a was simple as could be with no potential issues. Said they'd just flush system and change the piston valve to r410a.

More confused now than before.

• clocert
    9 years ago

That AC guy is correct 100%. so go with his suggestion. 2 different brands in one house is OK, they do not share anything anyway.

This post was edited by clocert on Sat, May 31, 14 at 0:06

• mike_home
    9 years ago

"He seemed pretty darn sure that converting to r410a was simple as could be with no potential issues."

I would not switch refrigerants without replacing the coil. I have never heard of anyone on this forum doing this. Apparently this AC guy has not done it either.

The home warranty company will hire the cheapest contractor they can find. Get the money and hire a good HVAC contractor.

The condenser is 16 years old. It will probably fail within the next 5 years. If you plan to be in this house for several years then why not change the condenser now and enjoy the comfort and energy savings for the rest of the time you live in this house.

• bsmith
    9 years ago

I personally would also have him change the lineset, if you are switching over. Some techs will put a filter dryer on then remove it after a month, or some virgin r22. That's the lazy method (against manufacturers suggestions) and it only leads to a potential for trouble. Good luck.

• billwin01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Was looking at the cash out option but the home warranty company offered me only $950 (for the evaporater coil fix). When I was talking to the actual ac tech he said it was $2k job. What's up with that?

• clocert
    9 years ago

In fact, either way is fine. important thing is the unit must be installed right. so make sure you get a good AC tech to do the job.

• billwin01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I cash out and hire another AC tech to do the job, doesn't $950 sound low to replace the evap coil (part + labor)?

• mike_home
    9 years ago

HVAC contractors don't like changing coils and will often quote a high price to get the customer to also change the condenser. You can't blame them since the probability of having a leak is high. They don't want to deal with the call backs.

I suggest you take the money and run.

• billwin01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"You can't blame them since the probability of having a leak is high. They don't want to deal with the call backs."

What do you mean the probability of having a leak is high? If there were to change the inside coil and leave the old condenser, the old condenser will likely start to leak? I have the home warranty paying for the coil, but I would be paying for the condenser (if I replace).

Frankly, if replacing the coil led to the old condenser leaking too, that would be good for me since I could get that replaced under home warranty too. Is that a common occurrence?

Thanks again for the info.

Also, any idea if the $950 to replace the coil is fair market value for a job like that? (that's what they offered me as a cash out from the home warranty company).

• billwin01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"You can't blame them since the probability of having a leak is high. They don't want to deal with the call backs."

What do you mean the probability of having a leak is high? If there were to change the inside coil and leave the old condenser, the old condenser will likely start to leak? I have the home warranty paying for the coil, but I would be paying for the condenser (if I replace).

Frankly, if replacing the coil led to the old condenser leaking too, that would be good for me since I could get that replaced under home warranty too. Is that a common occurrence?

Thanks again for the info.

Also, any idea if the $950 to replace the coil is fair market value for a job like that? (that's what they offered me as a cash out from the home warranty company).

• clocert
    9 years ago

Depends on where you are. $950 is low even in the southern States. In NY or CA it may cost you $2000 and up.
    But the coil(part) only cost $300-$400, some one don't have much business or work from his garage, may want to do it for $950. And, replacing coil will not cause condenser leaking.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

When you start opening old systems there is a good chance things start to break.

I think paying $2000 to change a coil is absurd. I have seen quotes on this forum for $1200 which I think is steep. If you are looking to spend the least amount of money then you could try the coil change and see how it goes.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting