Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
politronics

Propane Heat

politronics
10 years ago

Hi all!

I have been trying to figure out what changes to make to my heating system and I am at a loss.

I have a 4200 SqFt house. The 2nd floor is heated (and cooled) using a forced air system. This system also heats my master bedroom/bath and the laundry room, both on the first floor, and at opposite ends of the house.

In the rear middle of the house is an open eating/kitchen/living room area (about 650 SQFT.) It has a free standing older (1996) Regency free standing propane stove.

In the front middle of the house there is a dinging room and another smaller living room. It has a Regency propane insert.

The winters here can drop down below zero, but usually hover around high single digits at night up to 35-40 during the day. At it's peak, my propane bill runs $500 every three weeks, and I'm still cold. THe forced air system works great, but the freestanding unit do next to nothing if you aren't standing right next to them. I hardly even turn on the one in the front room, as all it does is buring propane and doesn't seem to add anything to the overall temp.

I was considering a wood stove on the first floor, but the remodeling necessary to install the chimney is rediculous.

I am considering changing the Regency stove to the Hampton H35 as it has more BTUs and is more efficient. I can't find a single review of it. I am also considering getting a HVAC guy out to see if I can add vents to my forced air system to help heat these first floor rooms, perhaps put auto dampers on them to send the heat where it's needed.

Anyway, I am at a loss and looking for any input anyone has. I need to do something and I certainly don't want to make it any worse! Any ideas? Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs