Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propane Heat

Posted by politronics (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 16:56

Hi all!

I have been trying to figure out what changes to make to my heating system and I am at a loss.

I have a 4200 SqFt house. The 2nd floor is heated (and cooled) using a forced air system. This system also heats my master bedroom/bath and the laundry room, both on the first floor, and at opposite ends of the house.

In the rear middle of the house is an open eating/kitchen/living room area (about 650 SQFT.) It has a free standing older (1996) Regency free standing propane stove.

In the front middle of the house there is a dinging room and another smaller living room. It has a Regency propane insert.

The winters here can drop down below zero, but usually hover around high single digits at night up to 35-40 during the day. At it's peak, my propane bill runs $500 every three weeks, and I'm still cold. THe forced air system works great, but the freestanding unit do next to nothing if you aren't standing right next to them. I hardly even turn on the one in the front room, as all it does is buring propane and doesn't seem to add anything to the overall temp.

I was considering a wood stove on the first floor, but the remodeling necessary to install the chimney is rediculous.

I am considering changing the Regency stove to the Hampton H35 as it has more BTUs and is more efficient. I can't find a single review of it. I am also considering getting a HVAC guy out to see if I can add vents to my forced air system to help heat these first floor rooms, perhaps put auto dampers on them to send the heat where it's needed.

Anyway, I am at a loss and looking for any input anyone has. I need to do something and I certainly don't want to make it any worse! Any ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propane Heat

Do you use propane for the furnace which currently heats the second floor, master bedroom, and laundry? Where is the furnace located and how big is it?

The one furnace may not be able to adequately heat a 4200 sq. foot house in your climate. My suggestion would to install a second furnace with a separate duct system for the unheated area. If you don't have access to natural gas then it may be more cost effective to get a heat pump.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here