Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High velocity systems and whole house dehumidifier

Posted by cheri127 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 16:31

Hi. I'm new to this forum and hope someone can answer this question. I am interested in installing a whole house ventilator/dehumidifier in my old 3 story house. We have radiator heat and two high velocity a/c units; a two ton unit for the basement and 1st floor and a 3 ton unit for the 2nd and 3rd floors. The return for the downstairs unit is in the dining room floor and is a straight line to the air handler below. If the ventilator/dehumidifier (I'm thinking of Ultra-Aire) is installed in the basement in the a/c return duct then circulated back to the air handler, it will only dehumidify the air upstairs. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to have a two branch return (one opening in the basement, one in the dining room) with a high velocity system? The basement door is always closed. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High velocity systems and whole house dehumidifier

If I understand your question correctly, you simply want two return air registers to go to the air handler. That is in fact possible. In fact, you could have more than two registers if you wanted. Your air handler simply wants a minimum sized return duct to ensure adequate airflow over the coils. It actually can't be too big. There is just a practical limit on the size of the duct work.

I have a high velocity system with two return registers that converge prior to entering the air handler. Works great.

High velocity systems tend to reduce humidity at a greater rate than conventional systems (it deals with the size of the blowers and airflow rate over the coils, etc...). Do you really think that you need a whole house ventilator/dehumidifier?

o
RE: High velocity systems and whole house dehumidifier

If I understand your question correctly, you simply want two return air registers to go to the air handler. That is in fact possible. In fact, you could have more than two registers if you wanted. Your air handler simply wants a minimum sized return duct to ensure adequate airflow over the coils. It actually can't be too big. There is just a practical limit on the size of the duct work.

I have a high velocity system with two return registers that converge prior to entering the air handler. Works great.

High velocity systems tend to reduce humidity at a greater rate than conventional systems (it deals with the size of the blowers and airflow rate over the coils, etc...). Do you really think that you need a whole house ventilator/dehumidifier?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here