Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
designergrey_gw

A/C Quotes...very different.

designergrey
12 years ago

So I finally have something to compare and now I am more confused than ever. I have two quotes for replacing an packaged, all electric heat pump. I currently have a 3 ton, 11 seer unit I am replacing here in Southern New Mexico.

Quote A:

Gave me two options for a Lennox Packaged product

Best Option

3-Ton

15GCSXAV 15 Seer unit

1-MERV 16 pleated filter and base

1 - ComfortSense 7000 Thermostat

10 Year Compressor 5 Year Parts (although the website says 10 year)

1 Year Labor

$6,985.00 + Tax

Better Option

3-Ton

13GCSXA 13 Seer Unit

MERV 10 pleated filter and base

1 - ComfortSense 7000 Thermostat

1 Year Labor

5,245.00 + Tax

Quote B:

Gave me two options for a American Standard product. They did a heat load and decided that my 1,860 upstairs (just replacing upstairs unit) required a 2-ton, not a 3-ton.

Best Option

2-TON

American Standard Heritage 4WCY4

14 seer unit

Programmable Thermostat

Cost of Electrician and Permits

Lifetime Workmanship warranty

$8,418.92 including tax

Better Option:

2-Ton

American Standard 2/4 WCC3

13 seer unit

Programmable Thermostat

Cost of Electrician and Permits

Lifetime Workmanship warranty

$7,618.920 tax included

So, I am assuming that if the heat load calculation is correct and I only need to replace my current 3 Ton, with a two ton then the cost of the Lennox units at 2 ton would come down a little? So that would make those quotes even less?

I called Quote A about the cost of the electrician and the permits. The electrician from Quote B said that it was pretty much a direct swap from the current unit, but I need to see how much the electrician is driving up the costs.

What is the value of lifetime workmanship? Is it necessary? I mean once the warranties are up and the unit has been installed I still have to pay for the labor of broken parts. So does it really mean anything?

From the rating and reviews on both companies I think either one would do a good job with the install. Quote A is a larger company than Quote B. Both have responded well and come to my home as scheduled.

I have no idea what to make of these quotes. From reading the forum I know that you all prefer American Standard. Assuming that Quote A still needs to pull permits and an electrician could that add an additional $1,033 to the cost?