Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A/C Quotes...very different.

Posted by designergrey (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 16:26

So I finally have something to compare and now I am more confused than ever. I have two quotes for replacing an packaged, all electric heat pump. I currently have a 3 ton, 11 seer unit I am replacing here in Southern New Mexico.

Quote A:
Gave me two options for a Lennox Packaged product

Best Option
3-Ton
15GCSXAV 15 Seer unit
1-MERV 16 pleated filter and base
1 - ComfortSense 7000 Thermostat
10 Year Compressor 5 Year Parts (although the website says 10 year)
1 Year Labor

$6,985.00 + Tax

Better Option
3-Ton
13GCSXA 13 Seer Unit
MERV 10 pleated filter and base
1 - ComfortSense 7000 Thermostat
1 Year Labor

5,245.00 + Tax

Quote B:
Gave me two options for a American Standard product. They did a heat load and decided that my 1,860 upstairs (just replacing upstairs unit) required a 2-ton, not a 3-ton.

Best Option
2-TON
American Standard Heritage 4WCY4
14 seer unit
Programmable Thermostat
Cost of Electrician and Permits
Lifetime Workmanship warranty

$8,418.92 including tax

Better Option:
2-Ton
American Standard 2/4 WCC3
13 seer unit
Programmable Thermostat
Cost of Electrician and Permits
Lifetime Workmanship warranty

$7,618.920 tax included

So, I am assuming that if the heat load calculation is correct and I only need to replace my current 3 Ton, with a two ton then the cost of the Lennox units at 2 ton would come down a little? So that would make those quotes even less?

I called Quote A about the cost of the electrician and the permits. The electrician from Quote B said that it was pretty much a direct swap from the current unit, but I need to see how much the electrician is driving up the costs.

What is the value of lifetime workmanship? Is it necessary? I mean once the warranties are up and the unit has been installed I still have to pay for the labor of broken parts. So does it really mean anything?

From the rating and reviews on both companies I think either one would do a good job with the install. Quote A is a larger company than Quote B. Both have responded well and come to my home as scheduled.

I have no idea what to make of these quotes. From reading the forum I know that you all prefer American Standard. Assuming that Quote A still needs to pull permits and an electrician could that add an additional $1,033 to the cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A/C Quotes...very different.

I've decided that I need a third quote to equalize it all out so I am having the Trane representative come give me a quote.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here