Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nobody14_gw

Seeking advice on Heat Pump Proposals

Nobody14
9 years ago

Dear forum,

I'm in Rockville, Maryland and need to replace a 18+ years' old heat pump system for a 3-floor townhouse. I am looking for something in the middle-range (since we plan to keep the house for a while), single stage compressor, variable speed air handler, 2.5 ton system that has at least 15 seer rating and 9 hspf.

We got two proposals, both are around $6600 after rebates. Any suggestions?

1. Lennox (16 Seer, 9 hspf)
Outdoor: XP17-030
Indoor: CBX32MV030
5 yr labor, 10 yr parts

2. Bryant: Preferred 15 seer with variable speed air handler
Outdoor HP model: 225BNA030
Indoor: FV4CNF002T00 (shows as legacy series on manufacturer's website)
3 yr labor, 10 yr parts

Both include multi-stage electric heater, thermostat (lennox may be fancier) and customized return box. All other "standard items" are included (according to the contractors). Both contractors are small, but have very good customer reviews.

Any suggestion or comments?

Many thanks!

Comments (4)

• ryanhughes
    9 years ago

From an equipment perspective both systems are fairly comparable. On the Bryant indoor model, they have a new all-aluminum coil version that I would want (the "T" would be replaced with an "L"). The Lennox air handler uses a copper indoor coil. The XP17 is a very quiet unit, but the 225BNA030 is not loud (noise is subjective).

The 005 Bryant fan coil would provide greater efficiency numbers if it can fit the space.

I like Trane/American Standard heat pumps personally, although both Lennox and Carrier/Bryant are respected manufacturers. The XP17 has electronic demand defrost (as do Trane/AmStd units [though I'm unsure if the XB300 does]), which is significant in our area. Heat pumps with EDD will defrost far less in my experience, saving money on the heating bill (less electric strip heat usage) and decreasing equipment wear/tear. The Bryant defrosts at a set time interval.

Your proposals need more details (electric heater size, thermostat model, ductwork included, lineset included/reused, etc.)

I'm familiar with the area (I live there) and many of the residential contractors servicing the area. If you are interested in a few referrals, feel free to send me an email (in my profile) and I'd be glad to assist you.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Thu, May 1, 14 at 16:50

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

I would want to see a quote on Am Std Heritage 15 HP with TAM 7 var speed air handler or Trane XR15.

What stat was quoted for Lennox? The Lennox system has electronic demand defrost, the Bryant has the cheaper time/temp method that is more expensive to operate. The Lennox system is a bit light in heating BTUs which is typical for the brand.

3839761 Active Systems XP17 SERIES LENNOX INDUSTRIES, INC. XP17-030-230* CBX32MV-024/030*+TDR 1000 29000 13.50 16.20 26800 9.00 17300 1 HRCU-A-CB Yes 222 552 Yes

For the Bryant, you would want the Bryant Edge Thermidistat. I don't think that's the correct air handler size on the Bryant quote. You would want the 005L with aluminum coil. See below.

6950612 Active Systems BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS PREFERRED SERIES PURON HP BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 225BNA030****A FV4CN(B,F)005L 875 28800 13.00 15.50 27600 9.00 16700 1 HRCU-A-CB 230 662 Yes

What size heat strip was proposed for each system?

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Thu, May 1, 14 at 17:16

• Nobody14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ryanhughes and tigerdunes, thank you for the prompt response!

We contacted some contractors based on reviews on checkbook and Angie's list, and from a friend. But from those (4 of them, one is out due to overpricing, still waiting on the detail proposal on the 4th) we talked, none recommended Trans. I guess this may be a manufactures' marketing thing?

I do not have the model number for the heat strip. I just know on the Lennox, it would be 29000 BTU, 9kw (maybe) multiple stage.
    On the Bryant, the proposed heat strip is 5kw/15kw 2 stage.

Here is what printed on Lennox proposal:

Heat Pump :
    Recovery and recycling of freon from old condenser.
    The new heat pump will be set in existing location unless noted.
    A new slab for the new condenser, if needed.
    All power and control wiring will be connected to the new condenser.
    The existing refrigerant piping will be utilized, unless noted.
    Necessary filter dryer.
    Evacuation, leak test, and check system.
    Removal of old equipment and clean up work area.

Air Handler:
    The new air handler/furnace will be set in the same location as the existing unit.
    Necessary alterations to the duct system.
    Necessary gas piping and permits.
    Flue connection to the existing vent or chimney.
    Power and control wiring.
    New thermostat Icomfort WiFi
    All work will adhere to local Building & Mechanical Codes, also the manufacturer's specifications.
    Removal of old unit and clean up work area.

The contractor agrees to include a new return box ($150-$200?) without extra charge.

Here is the list in the Bryant proposal:
    -Duct work to retrofit new air handler to existing duct & new return box
    -Flush out existing line set & pressure check system
    -Multi stage electric heaters
    -New outdoor condenser pad & 3â pump ups
    -New Honeywell prog tstat
    -All necessary parts & labor for installation
    -Removal & disposal of old equipment, trash, & debris associated with installation

Both contractors tell me that, though they may not list as many small details as some big companies do, they do all the jobs right. I assume they will also add specific items to the contract if I ask them to.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

I prefer Trane or AmStd over the two quotes you have received. There are pros and cons to the Lennox and Bryant quotes you rec'd.

I would want to see a quote on Am Std Heritage 15 HP with TAM 7 var speed air handler or Trane XR15.

IMO