Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing a 2 ton gas furnace/AC (Split Unit)

Posted by jeanneclaire (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 15:47

We are replacing a 2 ton split unit (gas) with a new Energy Star rated HVAC system. To qualify for the $500 Federal Tax credit we're looking at a 16 SEER A/C and furnace with a EER rating of 13. Our contractor has recommended the Frigidaire unit with 2 stage cooling and heating. He really like the warranty that Frigidaire offers, but will sell me any brand I want. Should I consider other brands and why? Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing a 2 ton gas furnace/AC (Split Unit)

I thought I should mention that I live in East Tennessee. The split unit I'm replacing is for the upper level only. The total square footage of the home is 3600 sf, the upper level is around 1900 sf.

o

Before you concentrate on a brand, you need to verify if the contractor will do a good installation.

Are you talking to an HVAC installer who will do the work, or a general contractor will arrange to "install any brand"?

It sounds like you have two furnances and condensers for a two story home and you are only replacing the units for the upper floor. Has a Manual J (heating/cooling) load calculation been done. A 2 ton air conditioner for a 1900 sf top floor seems undersized. I have never been to Tennesse but I assume you hit summer highs in the upper 90s.

In terms of brands the upper tier are Carrier/Bryant, Trane/American Standard, Lennox, and Rheem/Rudd. I don't have experience with Frigidare (which also may be Amana), but again brand to secondary to a proper sizing and installation.

o

Thanks, Mike for your input. I will ask a few more questions before i commit. I've been talking to a contractor who has been servicing my current units for a number of years. He's an independent/sole proprietor. Yes, I have two furnaces. The split unit that needs to be replaced is a two ton unit, however square footage has been added to the 2nd floor since the house was built 15 years ago. I will make sure he recalculates the load to include the additional square footage!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here