Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbie007

Requesting HVAC advice and solution

newbie007
10 years ago

I live in Chicago and my house has a Bryant furnace from the 1970's. It is still working fine, but it is very old, rotting at the bottom and inefficient as my heat bills from this past winter have been very high. I am looking to replace the furnace. The A/C is fairly new - 2006. The house is a 1.5 story with unfinished basement. Main level is 1000 Sq.Ft., finished attic is 500 Sq.Ft. Basement is 800 Sq.Ft., currently unfinished, but would like to finish in the future. so 1500 Sq.Ft. of current living space and 2300 Sq.Ft. of future living space.

In addition to having an old furnace, I have couple of more problems:
1. Heating and cooling across all areas of my house is not balanced. Some places are hotter/cooler than other and slow in heating/cooling
2. The attic has 2 bed rooms and a bathroom. There is just one vent in each bedroom and no returns at all. This is making the attic hot in summer and cold in winters

Please advise what type of furnace do I need so I can start getting some quotes.

I have a quote from a start up HVAC company (reference from a plumber) on Trane XT 95070 with ECM motor (he said its very efficient DC motor) for $2825. If I were to get new A/C, he recommended Trane 3 ton A/C system for $2250. For $575, he can add one 12" return on the attic stair wall as there is no other way to add the returns in the attic.

I do not know anything about HVAC stuff and after going through some posts in this forum, it seemed like I definitely need to know more on the furnace, blower, A/C condenser specifications. Can the experts on this forum please recommend me a solution for my situation and if I need a new A/C along with the new furnace? Thank you in advance and appreciate all your help.

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Start with a load calculation for correct sizing and a complete and thorough evaluation of ductwork system including size, design, and insulation properties.

Where is existing furnace located? What is size and efficiency?

IMO

• newbie007
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tiger for your response. The furnace is in the basement. It is a Bryant Quietline Deluxe furance model 397EAW036100. I couldn't get the size or any other specifications as its very old and the stickers are torn. Bryant website also doesn't have manuals for this model. Please help..

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You failed to answer my question about location of furnace.

The existing furnace model number suggests a 100 KBTU size,, probably no more than 80% efficient. Any idea of its age?

First of all the uneven temperature suggests ductwork problems. This has to be evaluated closely.

Is basement at or below grade? Most homeowners aren't aware that basements below grade have a low BTU load for both heating and cooling.

You need to get a return installed for attic if comfort is important to you. I might even consider a zoning control for this area if practical.

If the basement will be finished into a living area in the future, now s the time to take this into consideration if purchasing new HVAC.

IMO

• newbie007
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Tiger..mine is a below grade basement. I did some digging and found that the furnace is a 1976 model. Location wise, I am not sure what you mean. The furnace is located in one of the corners of the basement adjacent to the exterior access to basement and a glass block window. Thanks for all the tips. I will have the zoning control option and duct work system evaluated.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The problem is you have a furnace in the basement trying to heat and cool a 500 sq. ft attic with only two supply vents. You will need more supply vents and probably a return. You should investigate if it is feasible to add more supply vents to the attic and improve the air flow.

Is the roof deck is the ceiling of the attic rooms? Do you know the amount of insulation in the attic ceiling?

The heating and cooling load of the attic is very different than that of the main level and basement. I would make the attic a separate zone with its own thermostat. I would also make the duct work modifications for the basement now if you have firm plans to finish it in the future. The basement should also be a separate zone if you really want good temperature control. If you are willing to live with a basement with is a little colder in the winter then you don't have to do zoning.

Plan on getting a 95%+ furnace preferably with a variable speed blower. The top brand pairs are Carrier/Bryant, Trane/American Standard, Rheem/Rudd. Find a contractor who will do a load calculation and a thorough review of the duct work. Most contractors are not good at zoning, so you have to find one with experience. You don't have to change the AC now, but you should have a plan in place as to how it would be upgraded in the next few years.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What size is AC condenser?

You might consider adding a small supply to attic bathroom. As far as the other supplies to the attic bedrooms, dealer should check the size of the supply runs before adding another. probably undersized. Definitely a return is needed for attic zone.

IMO

• newbie007
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Mike: Thanks so much for your message and analysis. Yes, the roof deck is the ceiling of the attic rooms. I don't know the amount of insulation in the attic ceiling. Is there any guideline on the amount of attic insulation I need?

@Tiger, thanks. I will plan to get more supplies in the attic. But it seems like I can only have the return on the attic stair wall, but not in the attic. will this be efficient?

• farmercdpg
    10 years ago

I have a 2 1/2 ton Trane condensing unit , i have replaced the capacitor, and now when the unit starts the fan runs for a little and the compressor keep going?...why does the fan stop and the compressor keep going?..PLZ HELP!

• Tinmantu
    10 years ago

Farmer, you will have a lot more people see your problem if you start your own thread. Sounds like the motor is dropping out on thermal protection. May be time to replace.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

You want a minimum of R30 insulation, preferably more.