Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishcall

Please help me decide on a heat pump

fishcall
12 years ago

I know that they all about the same and it heavily depends on the contractor, but please tell me which way you would go. All the HVAC contractors are about the same. I live in coastal SC where it gets hot and humid! All of these are for an upstairs approx. 1300ft2 using a 2.5 ton heat pump:

13 SEER TempStar $3600

13 SEER Payne $3500

13 SEER Goodman $3800

13 SEER Bryant $4135

13 SEER Carrier $4200

14 SEER Goodman $4100

14 SEER Heil $4500

15 SEER Heil $5000

15.3 SEER Bryant $5320

I'm thinking 13 SEER would be fine because the one we are replacing is 10 SEER and cooled just fine. Thanks.

Comments (16)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

fishcall,

I would not even attempt to advise on those brands listed without cplt mdl number of both inside air handler and outside condenser. and some of those brands I would throw in the trash where they belong.

since you live in a coastal environment, there is only one brand that will hold up better and last longer. Trane and sister company AmStd.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes. see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

I would not purchase a new HP system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

if you are not going with var speed air handler, I would want the air handler to at least have the high eff blower motor over the conventional motor.

IMO

• fishcall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't afford all that stuff. I was happy with my old 10 SEER Ruud until it quit cooling. I don't live on the beach, but live in the country 10 miles from the beach. We don't have the same harsh environment that beach homes do. I'm looking for something in the sub $4000 range unless I would get a much better system for slightly more.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

fishcall

I would want the exact particulars/mdl numbers on the Bryant, Carrier, and Heil quotes. Throw the rest away. Keep in mind, one usually gets what they pay for. still would want a 13 SEER Trane/AmStd over what's been quoted.

you asked. I answered.

IMO
    Good Luck!

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

tiger dunes is giving you good info.

• fishcall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

are the other brands made by the major brands junk? like tempstar and payne?

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

the SEER number is not about how well it cools. The SEER number is about how much you pay for it to cool well. The bigger the number, the less you pay.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

fish

if you want a good 13 SEER HP, get a quote on the following:

4563141 Active Systems XR13 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR3024B1 GAM5A0A24M21 24000 12.00 14.00 22400 8.50 13600

this includes the new Hyperion air handler with high eff blower motor.

IMO

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

its to bad they want an extra $1200 to go from 13 seer to 15 seer bryant. I hate when contractors line their pockets when giving quotes on higher seer equipment. The highest efficiency single stage heatpump (about 15 seer) doesn't cost much more than the 13 seer one. I would ask the contractor to do the 15 seer one for close to the price of the 13 seer one. Maybe just a few hundred dollars more.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

for fishcall

"a poster on another site said i would ONLY have a Trane/Am Stand living in SC. that is not good advice either."

don't think I said that. I did say that Trane/AmStd condensers hold up better and last longer in coastal environments. if you look two posts up, I speced out a good 13 SEER Trane system for you.

Homeowners come on this site wanted help and opinions. Obviously they don't like what they don't want to hear.

Best of Luck

IMO

• fishcall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sorry tigerdunes. just getting so frustrated trying to make this decision. i think i am going to to go the cheaper route with a tempstar 13 seer $3600 with 10yr parts and 2yr labor. from what i understand they are MADE IN AMERICA. hope that is true because that is playing into my decision. i really wanted to go with the carrier 13 seer but $4200 with 5yr parts or $4800 with 10yr parts and labor was too much for me to spend. i emailed contractor and said i would do it for 10% less but have heard nothing from them.

• david_cary
    12 years ago

fish - you do realize that seer 15 will pay for itself in lower energy costs? The main reason to do 13 is if you are planning on moving soon or the property is a rental. It also makes sense in the Northeast or somewhere it is only being
    used a short part of the year. But you are going to be using that unit for a good portion of the year, so seer 15 is definitely going to pay for itself.

When you are using a heat pump, you are able to take double advantage of higher efficiency equipment.

I think most knowledgeable people would state that in this situation, you really do get what you pay for.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

fishcall

looks like you have been bottom fishing all along where price is more important than product. you never took the time to provide mdl numbers of exactly what systems were quoted. shortcuts usually are just that.

while wasting everyone's time who bothered to offer up their advice, homeowners like yourself usually get what they pay for.

Good Luck. you may need it.

IMO

• fishcall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

none of my hvac contractors have given me model numbers on any of the quotes. not sure if this is normal, but 4 contractors and no model numbers that is why i said base units.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

fish

putting the mdl numbers aside which must be unimportant to you, what about the warranty or have you asked?

IMO

• dannyboyy
    9 years ago

I've decided to take your advice and go w/ the Trane XB14 split system for my home.
    2.5 tone outdoor AHRI cert# 5021216 4TWB4030
    3.0 indoor unit w/ variable speed TAM7A0C36
    15seer rating according to contractor

Contractor is asking $6395. Sounds high to me, what should the ballpark be for this?

Thanks, dannyboyy

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

You have hijacked onto a 3+ yr old thread. This is considered bad forum etiquette.

Please post new by going to bottom of home page.

Then you can expect help.

IMO