Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sagelee

Trane Handler for AmStd heat pump?

sagelee
10 years ago

Hi Tiger/Ryan,

The installer is currently installing the HP in my house - the HP is AmStd 4A6H5030 but they are installing the TAM7 30 air hander - is it OK? (I expected to see the AAM7 not the TAM7)

many thanks.

Comments (12)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Yes, name badge may say AmStd but model number and air handler itself are identical to Trane.

A very nice system. I would prefer the 036 for the better performance/efficiency numbers.

5021984 Active Systems HERITAGE 15 AMERICAN STANDARD, INC. 4A6H5030G1 *AM7A0B30H21 31600 12.50 15.00 30000 9.00 18900 1 HRCU-A-CB Yes 255 646 Yes

5198252 Active Systems HERITAGE 15 AMERICAN STANDARD, INC.
    4A6H5030G1 *AM7A0C36H31 32200 13.00 16.00
    30000 9.00 18700 1 HRCU-A-CB 244 646 Yes

IMO

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

No problem.

• sagelee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Tiger,

Many thanks for quick response.

I just want to clarify something to educate myself - so you are saying that AmStd heat pump 4A6H5030 is identical to a Trane one?

We do a space limitation so we cannot have the 36 model :( - Currently they are cutting the return air opening to make it bigger to take the air handler up to the attic!

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

No, the inside air handlers are identical.

The outside condensers are cosmetically different, mainly cabinetry. Of course, Trane has their XLi condenser series with their proprietary tops which AmStd does not have an equivalent line.

The AmStd Heritage 15 and Trane XR15 outside condensers are basically the same.

I know this can be confusing.

IMO

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

That air handler's factory airflow setting is for a 2 ton unit. Please make sure the installers adjust the dip switches at the air handler control board to match a 2.5 ton outdoor unit BEFORE they check and adjust the charge.

A nice system. I am big on making sure things are set up properly. Unfortunately some installers don't touch the dipswitches and things are left on the default, incorrect setting. The homeowner may never know the difference, but for best performance airflow must be set properly to your application.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Fri, May 3, 13 at 15:41

• sagelee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Per your advice - we are getting the AprilAire media filter as well :) - I'm sure the installer has a good reason but I'm curious why the installer is installing AprilAire 2410 and not 2310. I thought TAM7 30 has the 20 X 20 filter and so does AprilAire 2310. Please give your thoughts.

• sagelee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ryan,

Greatly appreciate that you reminded me about the dip switches. My husband is home now and he'll make sure the installer adjust them BEFORE he charges - But how do we know if the switches are adjusted properly?

Many thanks.

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

It's very simple to do if they read the installation manual. There really is just one switch they'll need to turn on to go from 2-->2.5 ton. Factory airflow per ton should be 400 cfm in cooling and 430 cfm/ton in heating on that model -- this is good for most applications. They might also enable Comfort-R (two switches need to be turned on) to get the airflow "ramping" profile which helps with dehumidification. On a call for cool, the blower will run at 50% to get the coil temperature low for best dehumidification, then run at 80% for 7.5 minutes (this will put you at 320 cfm/ton, great for dehumidification again), and then if needed, it will run at 100% speed for more sensible cooling throughout the home.

As for the Aprilaire filter, it doesn't have to match the size of the air handler footprint/filter size depending on how they transition from the filter to the air handler. Good idea on getting the media filter. I do recommend them for several reasons.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Fri, May 3, 13 at 16:44

• sagelee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ryan,

You've asked if we have filters for returns. We do have a filter for the big return in the main floor which we installed ourselves. This filter is always the dirtiest one since this return is where the high traffic is.

I did ask the dealer about having filters for the upstairs returns - He recommended against it since we installed the media filter - also because these filters are about 3 feet from the return to the media filter.

Your comments on this is greatly appreciated.

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

I too would take out the filter(s) at the return grille(s). It is just an added (air) restriction, and really the media filter is more than enough to protect the equipment.

How do you like the new system?

• sagelee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'How do you like the new system?'

No new system yet :( - They will return on Tuesday to finish it - Since pull-down stairs opening is only 17 inches wide, they had to cut the return opening to make it bigger and slip the air handle up that way - they have to order the custom-made box for the return - the return was 20 X 20 - Now it will be 22 X 22. But all the dip switches have already set properly as you recommended :).

My husband would like to thank you two for your tremendous support in this project. Had it not been for your tireless and timely responses we would have gotten the Carrier and paid 1K more. Money is not an important factor here but it is the excellent equipment we are getting that we are so much grateful for.

Will be back on Tuesday with the results.

Have a very happy weekend.

• sagelee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The new AmStd system is in :) :) :) -
    It is sooooooooooo quiet that I can't tell if it is running :) -

Many many many thanks for your help - We will never forget how fortunate we are having you both crossed our paths at this point in our lifetime.

May health and happiness always follow your footsteps wherever you go.

sl

This post was edited by sagelee on Wed, May 8, 13 at 10:57

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz