Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
radiant heat question?

Posted by daviddj (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 14:27

We are considering whole house radiant heat in our a new custom home we are building in the Washington DC suburbs.

Is there a disadvantage to underfloor heating?
Since it will be placed underneath ceramic tiles or hardwood which is permanent, will future repair be a problem?
What is the brands / manufactures are recommended?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: radiant heat question?

The main disadvantage of radiant heat is that it is expensive. I don't know if it has disadvantage in efficiency if it has to radiate through hardwood flooring.

If you have a leak you will have to tear through the flooring. If it is installed correctly you should not have this problem. But I would be worried. I recently had to tear into a new shower tile to repair a leaking PVC pipe. It was not a fun experience.

Why do you want to do radiant heating for the whole house? Is assume you will have a central AC system.

o

Radiant heat is a very efficient type of heating..I have it in two bathrooms, my kitchen, laundry and great room, under ceramic tile. It should not need any repair in your lifetime! It is used extensively all over Europe...you will love it, as long as it is installed properly!

o

We have radiant heat in our basement concrete floor. We love it! It does take time to bring the slab up to temperature, and I'm sure it consumes lot of electricity running the boiler for 1-2 days. But after that the slab holds the heat so well that it runs infrequently to maintain the basement temperature.

You can't really use a setback thermostat efficiently on the type of system so it's set it and forget it. Very comfortable heat and no noise.

o

I would suggest that you look at Warmboard. With proper plans they will do the entire lay-out. This is a project that you do not want to play with the low bidder. Do your research and hire the best guy in your area to do this work. Properly done, you will love the system.

o

I would suggest that you look at Warmboard. With proper plans they will do the entire lay-out. This is a project that you do not want to play with the low bidder. Do your research and hire the best guy in your area to do this work. Properly done, you will love the system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here