Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
speedlever

Infinity thermostat programming

speedlever
13 years ago

I'm new to programmable thermostats and have the Carrier Infinity thermostat as part of a recent replacement installation.

One question relative to programming it:

In setup- hybrid heat, I have the HP lockout set at 35*F or leave it on none?

Is there a guide somewhere to tell me suggested tweaks? (I am an unapologetic tweaker to anything programmable!)

I found and enabled fan programming on the Advanced menu.. but don't find anywhere I can program the fan speed.

When I look at the schedules, I see only entries for day, time and heat and cool temps. Where do you find a place to program the fan?

If I press the fan control button (top right corner of the stat) and select low (instead of auto), I assume that takes it out of auto mode and it will just run 24/7 in low. Is that correct? I also assume this has nothing to do with the fan programming.

What am I missing here?

New equipment installed upstairs in 2 story house:

Carrier Infinity gas furnace: 58CVA070

Carrier HP: 25HPA524

Carrier coil: CNPHP3117ATA

Carrier Infinity thermostat

Downstairs is original split system: gas furnace and a/c.

Comments (13)

• speedlever
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As a for instance, in the installation instructions for the Infinity control, under hybrid heat, the example given shows a furnace lockout at >30*F and a HP lockout set for I have no idea what the furnace and the HP do in response to the settings on this page.

Per your suggestion, would both the HP and the gas furnace be operational at the same time in temps above 35*F if the furnace is set to none and the HP is set to lockout I sure would like to see where this is explained somewhere.

If the programmable fan option is set to on, where do you go to make changes to the fan speeds?

Regarding the fan control on the top right of the control, I have options of auto, low, med, and high. If I understand you correctly, any setting other than auto will continuously run the fan at that setting and will increase fan speed (if possible) should the control command it. I can't see that the programmable option has anything to do with this control.

• classicdave
    13 years ago

No, both HP and furnace do not run at the same time.
    If by chance your heat pump has a high demand that will use it's axillary function then it will turn off the HP and go to axillary heat which is your furnace, then your furnace will take over.

As a program fan speed
    1 Flip down the door at the bottom of the control.
    2 Press the SCHEDULE button to access the schedule screen.
    3 Press the FAN button to access the Fan Speed programming
    screen.
    4 Press the LEFT or RIGHT button to select the days you wish to
    program  ALLDAYS, WEEKDAYS, WEEKEND, or choose a
    specific day (MON, TUES, WED, etc.).
    5 Using the TIME (+\-) button, select your desired fan speed Â
    LOW, MED, HIGH or AUTO.
    6 Use the SCROLL button to highlight the next period, then
    repeat steps 5 and 6 to select settings for DAY, EVENING and
    SLEEP.
    7 Press the FAN button to return to the standard scheduling
    screen.
    - OR -
    8 Exit the scheduling mode by either closing the door or
    pressing the SCHEDULE button.

• classicdave
    13 years ago

Hybrid Heat Setup / Operation
    Furnace Lockout  (in HYBRID HEAT SETUP menu) is the
    outside temperature above which the furnace will not run except
    for defrost (otherwise known as the aux heat lockout).
    Heat Pump Lockout  (in HYBRID HEAT SETUP) is the
    outside temperature below which the heat pump will not run
    (otherwise known as the balance point).
    These values can be set identical to each other. If they are not
    identical, the system will stage up and down normally from heat
    pump to furnace when the outside temperature is between these
    settings. The User Interface will not allow the heat pump lockout
    setting to be above the furnace lockout setting.
    The factory default settings for both of these is NONE (no
    lockouts). Even though a heat pump lockout temperature may be
    set, the system will still use the furnace in defrost operation, and
    may stage back down to heat pump when defrost is completed after
    a 2 minute delay.
    Hybrid Heat Defrost  (in HYBRID HEAT SETUP) When the
    outdoor unit needs a defrost cycle, the furnace will run during
    defrost regardless of lockout temperature, unless told not to in the
    Hybrid Heat Setup screen. After defrost, the system may stage
    down to heat pump after a 2 minute delay.

• speedlever
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the fan programming tips. I'll check that out when I have a spare moment.

I'm still struggling with the control logic regarding lockout of the furnace and HP. If, as you suggested, I set the furnace lockout to NO and leave the HP at Playing with the control and running the HP lockout temp up, I could see that the furnace lockout would automatically track the HP lockout (as you mentioned above) not allowing the HP lockout to be higher than the furnace lockout.

There are 3 scenarios I can think of for lockout settings, and I do not understand why one would be chosen over another:
    1) furnace lockout - no (your suggested setting)
    HP lockout at 35*F (using 35*F as an arbitrary value)

2) furnace lockout - >30*F (lockout greater than the HP lockout)
    HP lockout 3) furnace lockout - >35*F (lockout equal to the HP lockout)
    HP lockout - Perhaps the term staging up/down is what I don't understand. Keeping that in mind, how does the system operation differ between the examples above?

In a hybrid system like mine (with gas backup), does the HP have any other defrost capabilities (built in electric defrost?) than using the gas furnace for defrost?

Thanks for your tutoring!

• david_cary
    13 years ago

You come home and you were out of town and set the temp to 50 degrees. The house is cold but outside is 36 degrees. Do you want aux heat to run to heat the house faster? That is usually why you don't lockout the furnace based on outside temp. Now you could wait the six hours the heat pump takes to heat the house or you can allow the furnace to run.

• speedlever
    Original Author
    13 years ago

david_cary... another post from you that clears the mud from my eyes. You should rewrite the federal tax code. ;-)

Ok. Your explanation explains scenario #3... well, and also #2 for that matter... and scenario #1 as well.

Thank you.

• speedlever
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One thing that still puzzles me is that I understand that the HP and the furnace won't run at the same time. If in the situation described above where the emergency heat comes on (gas furnace in my case), does the HP not run at all during the time the gas furnace is running when above the HP temp lockout?

If only the gas furnace is running above the 35*F HP lockout due to the demand to bring the interior temp up from 50*F to 70*F, at what point will the furnace shut down and the HP take over reverting back to normal programming where the HP maintains temp until the OAT drops below 35*F?

• classicdave
    13 years ago

for a scenario #1 outside temp above 35F
    The heat pump will run for 15 minutes, if it can not meet the demand in 15 minutes(default) it will then switch to the furnace.

Example #2 is efficency mode,
    I would have this setting when the gas rate is high or I'm mad because I had my controller set for Example one and i had a big gas bill the prior month.
    So example 2 is good for when the price for natural gas is high. Run the heat pump as much as you can before using gas.

3rd example is a compromise between 1 and 2.

So, when it come cold again, I would suggest setting your heatpump at a low lockout like #2 but raise it up if you want more instant heat when it's cold outside.

Remember you are a Tinker! and Bell would be proud! experiment with your own comfort level because the infinity controller does all the hard calculations for you, you just have to find your comfort level.

• speedlever
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks classicdave. Very helpful info.

The trick will be to remember it when the cold weather comes back!

• speedlever
    Original Author
    13 years ago

classicdave,

I need to correct one of your very helpful posts. In the post where you include instructions on how to change the fan programming, you posted this:
    "As a program fan speed
    1 Flip down the door at the bottom of the control.
    2 Press the SCHEDULE button to access the schedule screen.
    3 Press the FAN button to access the Fan Speed programming
    screen.
    4 Press the LEFT or RIGHT button to select the days you wish to
    program  ALLDAYS, WEEKDAYS, WEEKEND, or choose a
    specific day (MON, TUES, WED, etc.).
    5 Using the TIME (+\-) button, select your desired fan speed Â
    LOW, MED, HIGH or AUTO.
    6 Use the SCROLL button to highlight the next period, then
    repeat steps 5 and 6 to select settings for DAY, EVENING and
    SLEEP.
    7 Press the FAN button to return to the standard scheduling
    screen.
    - OR -
    8 Exit the scheduling mode by either closing the door or
    pressing the SCHEDULE button."

In step 5, you said to change the fan setting use the Time button. However, the Time button merely changes the time. I found (at least on my version of the Infinity control) that you have to press the fan button to cycle through the available choices).

No biggee, but I thought it worth correcting.

Note: without the programming option being turned on in the advanced menu, the fan option will not come up on the schedule page.

• A6Mech
    11 years ago

Hello all. I cannot access the "fan" or "program" modes in the advanced setup dialog on my thermostat. What am I missing?

• mike_home
    11 years ago

I may be able to help if you describe what you are trying to do.