Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hayden2_gw

Cost of installing a portable generator?

hayden2
10 years ago

We live in NJ and so we've decided to install a generator. We've decided on a propane powered portable model.

1) Is it better to buy 2 3,000 watt generators, or one 6 - 7,000 watt generator? If we get two of the smaller models, the pro's are we wouldn't pay to get the electrical panel installed, and we'd double our chances of having at least one of the generators working if the one conked out. The cons are dealing with multiple units instead of one, and we'd have wires strung throughout the house, which is problematic.

2) We looked into getting the single, larger generator with an electrical panel. We contacted two reputable electricians who've both been around our town 20 years or so, with good references. One quoted 1,200 for installation and labor, while the other quoted 600 for installation and labor. I don't understand such a large difference.

Please share your thoughts.

Comments (5)

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

This past winter I purchased a gasoline powered portable generator - 7500 Watts (9500W Peak.) I modified it using a USCarb Snorkel Kit. The modifications cost under $300 - not free, but I feel reasonable.

Whichever way you go, I'd suggest looking into the modification kit rather than shopping only propane powered models exclusively.

It will dramatically expand your options as far as manufacturer and features, not to mention price.

If noise is an issue, these devices are inherently noisy. - IF noise is a big concern - AND if you would envision being able to sometimes operate one 3100-3000Watt generators, that might argue two smaller generators. Of course, the Mod cost would double if you follow my advice and shop gasoline models.

I can provide specifics on my generator if you wish.

There is a lot of info out there in the RV world as those folks are in need of electric sources and also are often limited as to how much noise is permitted at camp grounds and parks.

• hayden2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's very helpful, saltidawg. I wasn't aware you could buy a gas-powered then modify to a propane-powered engine. I would welcome your sharing specifics on what model you bought. Thanks so much for your comments.

• big_al_41
    10 years ago

I recently purchased a 10,000 watt gas unit online and I was very happy with it. You need to give some thought as to what you want to power up in the event of a black out. Also you need to think about how you will lock out the main breaker coming in from the street while you run your gensets. You don't want to kill a linemen, their job is hard enough in those conditions. if your running just one or two devices you can look up the start up amps etc and then wire into a strip protector type thing .... just be aware that if the wiring is not heavy enough you can either have a fire or trip the breakers on the genset. I believe there are forums just for generators where specific questions can be asked. this is not something to guess and hope your right ... good luck!

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

hayden2,

This is the source of the kit I used...

http://www.uscarb.com/

Their customer service is great, they have a forum that is extremely useful, and their Web Site is one of the worst there is! Out of date and thus full of errors.

To Mod a gasoline powered gennie to run on either gas or NG or LP, essentially you need to introduce a device between the carburetor and the air cleaner and pipe the propane into it via an appropriate regulator.

In the past the device was 1 1/4" thick which frequently caused the air cleaner to not fit when you tried to bolt it back on. They now sell a "Snorkel" which is like 1/4" thick and simply replaces the gasket. No structure mods.

I ended up buying a ST-GP9500EP 7500W generator from Costco. Costco is tough to beat if there are issues with the new generator. I tested out the generator and ran it in on gasoline for six hours. I used an external gas tank to avoid putting gasoline in the generators tank- I plan to run the generator on propane only!

Here is a link to my history:

Here is a link that might be useful: My History

• hayden2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

saltidawg, I just read your story you sent via link, and I appreciated your comments. Very helpful. Also I now know why you call yourself Saltidawg! Thank you for your service!

Big_Al, I appreciated your comments also. Rest assured when it comes to electrical stuff, if it involves more than changing a light fixture, I call in the pro's. I'll also make sure we get the panel inspected by the town.