Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theclose

issue with seer/eer and rebate

theclose
9 years ago

So, we have had our Bryant system installed since last Sept. Here is our final system:

986 TA 48080 V17 Furnace
CNPVP 4821 Cooling Coil
187 BNA 048 4-ton, 2-stage condensing unit

In the contract, it is noted I should have received a 17 SEER unit that would qualify for our local utility rebates. Very long story short, for the A/C system, the utility company says we only have a 15 SEER unit and we don't qualify for the highest rebate. After MONTHS of back and forth with the installers, I finally spoke to someone at Bryant and they emailed me the AHRI cert. It says my system is 14.5 SEER and 12 EER, so worse than the utility co stated. No what? I have escalated this to the owners and they are dragging their feet. I am not so concerned about the rebate at this point, as much as the long term affect this will have on my bills and the fact that I contracted for a 17 SEER unit. Ugh.

Any advice on the best way to go about this issue? I want the best unit possible for my house and I thought this was it. I was dealing with a new salesman, so I think he is part of the issue as he was pretty clueless about a lot of things. Due to GW, I knew way more than he did!

I appreciate any input you experts may send my way. Thanks so much.

Comments (16)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

What AHRI matching number did Bryant give you?

What rebate are you speaking of?

Here is the matching number I came up with and according to the info, it qualifies for Fed Tax Credit.

6370682 Active Systems BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS EVOLUTION SERIES PURON AC BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 187BNA048****B CNPV*4821AL* 1250 1110 986*A60080V21*** 47500 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 368 Yes

To interpret that's 13 EER and 16 SEER AHRI rating...

Post back.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Mon, May 19, 14 at 14:41

• mike_home
    9 years ago

I think the AHRI number is the one below. This is for the 17 inch wide furnace. It seems strange they didn't use the 21 inch wide furnace with a 21 inch wide coil.

6370681 Active Systems BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS EVOLUTION SERIES PURON AC BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 187BNA048****B CNPV*4821AL* 1280 1105 986*A48080V17*** 47000 12.50 15.50 1 RCU-A-CB 376

If this is the correct AHRI number then ratings are 12.5 EER and 15.5 SEER.

I would not lose sleep over this. But if it was written in your contract that you would qualify for the 17 SEER rebate, then I think the only fair thing is for the contractor to refund the difference in rebates.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Mike is right. I am mistaken.

I think your dealer did you a serious injustice by not specing the correct configuration. Cost difference would have been inconsequential.

6370681 Active Systems BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS EVOLUTION SERIES PURON AC BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 187BNA048****B CNPV*4821AL* 1280 1105 986*A48080V17*** 47000 12.50 15.50 1 RCU-A-CB 376

12.50 EER and 15.50 SEER

I totally agree with Mike's suggestion. Dealer should cover the rebate both Federal and local.

IMO

• mike_home
    9 years ago

The federal tax credit ended last year. It is only local rebates now.

You may also qualify for a Bryant rebate.

The contractor should have given you the AHRI certificate when you signed the contract. I find it a little disturbing the contractor can't answer your questions. Hopefully this in not a reflection on his installation abilities.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

For Mike

OP purchased system last year-Sept 2013. Dealer should cover Federal Rebate as well.

TD

• theclose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bryant gave me the AHRI number of 6370686.

The specific rebate I was referring to is for ConEd/Honeywell. I got the max amount for the furnace, so no issue there. Thermostat is also fine. It is just the A/C condensing unit and coil that is at issue.

Thank you both for putting me at ease regarding price differential and not losing sleep over it. I have been! It is just frustrating to deal with people who don't know what they are doing and me having to do all the legwork constantly. It is almost like you can't trust anyone trying to sell you something anymore. So irritating.

Anyway, I thought my system was supposed to qualify for the Fed Tax Credit as well. Taxes are still being done and I did submit the info to our accountant so I will ask about that too.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

As far as I am concerned, that's an incorrect AHRI number that did not include the Evolution furnace.

Still think the dealer should cover all rebates.

TD

• theclose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting, TD. I hope you are right!

The difference in rebate at this point is $200 for the local (they gave me $400 and I should have received $600 for a SEER of over 16, as was in the contract). I will look up Federal again.

So, is that the fair outcome? Just to cover rebates? I shouldn't push for a system that has a SEER of 17, as was in my contract?

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

The Federal Rebate was available last year, when you had your Heat Pump and Furnace Installed.... assuming qualified.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

If the furnace was installed in 2013 then you qualify for a tax credit. I didn't realize how long this has been going on.

The SEER ratings are a big marketing numbers game. You may find that in order to achieve 17 SEER you may have to swap out the furnace and the coil. The furnace itself may have a lower AFUE rating then the one you currently have. Yes I know, it does not make a lot of sense.

You have a good system. Don't change it. You can have a discussion with the contractor about not installing what he promised. Maybe he will refund some money. You have to decide how much you want to push this.

• udarrell
    9 years ago

That manufacturers seer rating is a nonissue; you will not have the supporting factors within your home set-up to support the manufacturers seer rating therefore it is irrelevant.

Seer ratings are only a potential that was achieved by a perfect laboratory set-up by the manufacturer which is never duplicated in the field when you consider all of the negative factors that will lower any achieved seer rating.

You are working yourself up in a lather over a total non-issue because you probably don't have the design engineered factors involved in your home's set-up that will support more than a 10 or 12 achievable Seer no matter what the manufacturers seer rating indicates even if it were a 25-SEER Rating.

The EER rating is far more important than the SEER Rating...the quality of the install is paramount toward improving achievable EER Ratings

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Udarrell

I am not disagreeing with you but I think you missed the point. OP was promised a certain rating in his quote. AHRI is usually the authoritative source on these ratings and rebates. It seems OP was promised something that went unfulfilled. He left rebates on the table which he was expecting. I don't blame him; I would feel the exact same way.

TD

• udarrell
    9 years ago

You are correct, from the rebate standpoint he got cheated.
    That should not happen.

By the way Electric Power Companies are getting awayb from paying rebates solely on the basis of the mfg'ers SEER Ratings; they are demanding "Delivered performance verification Testing."

Here is a link that might be useful: Delivered performance verification Testing

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link...

TD

• theclose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE: Thank you all for your assistance! I have finally received a resolution that I think is fair. They offered two options - replace the component(s) that is/are causing the drop in ratings (which I thought was the coil but he made mention of the furnace being an issue as well) or to cut a check for the lost local rebate and fed tax credit. Seeing as how this has consumed many, many hours over the last 8 months, I am going to take the check. As was stated upthread, the system I have is a great system and the ratings differential is minimal. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of replacement at this point, as I have a life to lead!!

Thanks again for everything. Hope this helps someone else in the future!

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Congrats!