Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

heat zone question: deciding between two contractors

newenglandsara2
9 years ago

Hi again,

I just posted a question about Viessmann vs. Burnham Alpine vs. Buderus. I also have a separate question about heat zones.

We are buying an 1800 sf house that currently has one zone of oil heat. We are putting on a family room/kitchen addition with a master bedroom and bath above it. We have proposals from two contractors (who are recommending different burners!) The contractors have different approaches to zoning.

The first contractor (Viessmann or Buderus guy) is suggesting that we keep one zone for the existing living room, dining room AND the there kid bedrooms upstairs (which are existing rooms.) He is then suggesting new zones for the master, the kitchen/family room and the basement.

The second contractor (Burnham Alpine or Buderus) is recommending that we keep the first floor one zone and split the second floor into two zones: master and existing kid bedrooms. We would then have a basement zone for the playroom.

In addition, the first contractor is quoting a one step a/c system, and the second contractor is quoting a two step system: supposedly quieter and more efficient (and we don't go away much.)

The second contractor is more expensive, but we feel more comfortable with him. We are trying to put the recommendations into perspective. Any input?

Thanks so much!

Sara

Comments (6)

• mike_home
    9 years ago

The second contractor's suggestion of zoning by floors and bedrooms makes more sense. His proposal will allow you to keep the first floor at one temperature, and the bedrooms at another. This will allow you to set back the bedroom temperature during the day when no one is upstairs. You would also be able to set back the first floor during the night when everyone is sleeping. In addition you may want the kid's room to be warmer then the master bedroom. I assume the new master bedroom will have much better insulation than the other bedrooms so this would be another reason to have an independent zones on the second floor.

A 2-stage AC does a better job of humidity control. It will also be quieter when it runs in the low stage. In my opinion they are worth the extra money.

I am not an expert on boilers. Have the contractor explain the options. I know that high efficiency modulating boilers need to operate at lower water temperatures in order to reach peak efficiency. In some installations this is not possible and you end up paying a lot of money for a boiler that cannot reach its full potential.

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, Mike_Home! I like the second contractor's suggestions, but I guess they are a lot more expensive. I hope that the first contractor was trying to save us money and still has the expertise to know what is ideal. He is the one who normally works with our GC, so our GC is pushing us to use him. I feel more comfortable with the other contractor (who we have used for a previous HVAC job), but: 1) his quote is pricier and 2) our GC has never worked with him before. Decisions, decisions....:-) Thanks again!

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

Do you have forced air now or hydronic?

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ionized, good question! The heat is radiators with copper pipes and fins inside the radiators. (Therefore, we can add some baseboard where needed, and it will be compatible.) Hope this helps!

• bakerboy63
    9 years ago

Sara,

Mike is right, you may not get the full benefits of a mod/con boiler as their full efficiencies are only met when the return temps are below 130. Normal rads run at 180, meaning return temps are something like 160. That being said, if the original house is older, and has been upgraded with insulation, better windows etc, than you may have more radiator length than you need for 180 temps, allowing you to run lower and still be warm. Like I said in the other thread, get a heat loss calc done. You should not go with any contractor that is not capable of doing this ' manual J' calculation.

The 2nd contractor sounds good, but their are pluses to the 1st guy too. Make sure they are quoting the setup with an Outdoor reset or ODR. This modulates the temp of the water based on outside temps. This is one of the main reasons to get one of these new boiler types.

Go with the 2 stage AC unit as Mike said. When my unit dies, that is what I will do. I like the Trane units, XL model I believe, where they have 2 compressors in them, one at 50%, the other at 100%, which modulates better than the other 2 stage units, which are usually 70/100%.

A lot to think about huh? The good news is, the systems today, when properly setup with a good contractor, are more comfortable and use less energy.

Good luck.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

" He is the one who normally works with our GC, so our GC is pushing us to use him. I feel more comfortable with the other contractor (who we have used for a previous HVAC job)"

First rule is most general contractors know very little about HVAC. They like to sub contract the HVAC work to the guy who will do the work for the lowest cost. You careful about using the first contractor. Costs are important but don't let it be the sole deciding factor.

Installation is very important. You can buy the best boiler but if it is installed poorly it will never worked correctly. If you have used the second contractor in the past and feel good about his work, then that would be a big plus. The GC may not have an agreement with the second contractor. That is something you will have to negotiate and my be the reason he is trying to sway you.

Do you have detailed quotes from both contractors? Have they explained how the equipment will be sized? Have they offered any options about equipment? What prices have been proposed so far?

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz