Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spuds123_gw

HVAC replacement input appreciated.

Spuds123
10 years ago

Hi, I own an older (1950's) shore home in New Jersey that has 20 year old HVAC equipment. I am having the home air sealed and reinsulated. I am also swapping our the HVAC as it is very inefficient (Cycles on and off a lot, big gas bills and repairs). I have been quoted (per below) from $8.8k to $10.6k for a new 80k btu furnace, 36k btu condenser and 36k btu coil. I have also been quoted $1600 for an AO Smith hot water heater (my current one is four years old, but the hvac co said to replace if I wanted to qualify for the energy efficiency rebates in NJ). The lower price is Arcoaire (I think Honeywell) whom I have not heard much about, would rather to go with a known brand (Trane). Does the quote seem fair for price and equipment types(I know HVAC got to make a living too..) and which would you recommend for a two story 1900 sq ft vacation home (Used quite regularly year round)?

Many thanks in advance!!

This post was edited by Spuds123 on Mon, May 6, 13 at 13:00

Comments (13)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Your attachment is not visible. Could you provide the model numbers of proposed equipment? It is difficult to comment on pricing without know the equipment and the details of the installation.

It appears you are engaged in the NJ Energy Star rebate program. I live in NJ and I am familiar on how it work. Don't spend unnecessary money on replacing a hot water heater so that you can qualify for a higher rebate. There is not much to gain by replacing a four year old hot water heater for $1600!

• Spuds123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Attachment = gif

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Well if you plan on tightening home and insulation improvements, I would want to see in writing a load calculation especially for heating to determine correct size of furnace. Yes, I question whether an XV95 80 K size is too large. What size and efficiency is existing furnace?

I certainly would not pay $1300 premium for an XLI16i condenser over an XR15 condenser.

What thermostat was quoted by Trane dealer? New and correctly sized refrigerant lineset to be furnished?

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Mon, May 6, 13 at 14:48

• Spuds123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@tigerdunes - MANY thanks for your response. The current system is a 20 year old York gas furnace and coil. I dont know the size or efficiency (but would guess 80% on its best day). Price includes remove and replace lineset ( 3/4 x 3/8). They did not list a model # other than say digital programmable thermostat. I will sure take your advice on the 'middle' condenser. The quote for the HW heater is $1,970 to replace the current 4 y.o. A. Open one (NJ Energy star...)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Why replace a 4 yr old HW heater as long as it is performing for your family?

And with the XV95 two stage VS furnace, it is important to get a good two stage thermostat that controls the staging. No substitute allowed.

IMO

• Spuds123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again tigerdunes. The HVAC contractor said that because the HW Heater and furnace share the same chimney stack that the HW heater would need its own exhaust and should be replaced because of 'blow back' (or something like that) as a result of a high efficiency furnace. Something to do with the down draft pressure blowing something out and carbon monoxide issues?. His abnswer was to replace the HW heater and vent through the roof with a 2" PVC assembly.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Where will furnace be located?

Most high eff condensing furnaces are vented through an external wall rather than thru roof.

IMO

• Spuds123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No option to vent through a wall as it is centrally located above a crawl space in an area where piping cannot be 'decently' routed out of the closet other than through the roof or chimney. right now the exhaust from HW and furnace are both aluminium pipes into the chimney. I understand the contractor wants to vent separately,

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I would leave existing HW heater alone.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Has the contractor applied for a permit for this installation?

I am not sure what this contractor plans to do for the exhaust. It sounds like he wants to install some sort of power vent for the furnace. I would want to check with the manufacturer to see if this is allowed.

Why can't he install a separate vent for the furnace and leave the hot water heater alone? If it is a brick chimney it may have to be lined. This is not expensive and a common practice.

• Spuds123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No work accepted or started yet. My thoughts were leave the heater alone vented through the chimney as is, and run a PVC for the furnace straight up through the roof. I really can't understand the hard sell on the heater to qualify for the incentives. The home audit indicated all mods would lead to a 34% savings, but the he heater savings were marginal. The contractor is proposing insulation, air sealing, hvac & hw heater replacement. I just don't want to waste my money. I also want the rebates and incentives if the mods make sense.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The energy savings are usually overly optimistic. The contractors tend to inflate the prices since the state is paying half the cost up to a specified amount. Get quotes from HVAC contractors outside the rebate program to get an idea of the market prices.

I always advise people to calculate their energy costs in order to figure out the return on investment on an insulation upgrade.

• Spuds123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good advice Mike. Between tiger dunes and You, I have some great material to get back to the contractors that quoted me. You guys are GREAT!

Thanks so much - great info so far.

Much appreciated .