Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing condensate pump

Posted by alabamanicole (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 12:30

The 9 year old condensate pump on my AC failed last night. It is making a lot of noise and the impeller runs but is no longer pumping water for some reason. I've torn it down, cleaned it and re-installed it, and it *looks* like it should work, but no luck. There was a lot of nasty gunk inside; I don't think it was ever cleaned out.

The existing pump is a Beckett CU401UL but they no longer make this model. Since I'll have to order one online, can any of the HVAC gurus recommend a pump? I need at least 15' of head, 3/8" ID outlet, 1" inlet, and both quiet and energy efficient are highly desired characteristics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing condensate pump

I have the Diversitech Condensate Pumps in my house. I think it is the CP-22 models, but I would have to check. These were installed by the HVAC contractor. So far they have worked well.

o

The Diversitech's seemed to have quality control issues, so I went with a Little Giant. I've used many as pond and aquarium pumps and on that end they are unglamorous workhorses which tend to be a little too loud and hot but reliable.

Besides CAN a condensate pump in my basement be glamorous?

o

When I had a new furnace, air conditioner put in, shouldn't the company have also put in a new condensation pump instead of using my old one?

o

I would say they should have replaced the pump on a new install.

On the Beckett pump it sounds like the issue might be the check valve but if so it might not live long after replacing the check valve if you can even find one. Pump replacement would probably be the best answer.

o

"When I had a new furnace, air conditioner put in, shouldn't the company have also put in a new condensation pump instead of using my old one?"

What did the contract say?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here