Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clocert

How to replace an air handler drain pan ?

clocert
9 years ago

Hi, My drain pan under the air handler is all rusted due to leaks before. I want to replace it with a new one. but how do I do it ? The air handler is heavy, and it is connected with pipes and ducts. no matter which way I look at it, it is not a easy job, at least not for me. Wonder if any one did this before or has any suggestions ? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• klem1
    9 years ago

First let's be certain we are on the same page. When you say "UNDER THE AIR HANDLER", does that mean you can see the pan suspended underneath without taking a panel off the handler? If the answer is no,I'm afraid you may be faced with hireing a pro. A couple of pictures would also help. Do you plan on diy?

• clocert
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The pan is sitting on the joist and airhandler is set directly on the pan? (The bottom of the handler touch the pan.) The question is how do I lift the handler for about 3 inches so I can pull the old pan out.

• klem1
    9 years ago

4 turnbuckles from corners to rafters. Rope hoists on each end to rafters. A strong man at each corner to lift and place blocks between unit and pan. Once unit rests on blocks,slide a board under each end, lift off blocks in pan and block between board ends and joists. Flatten pan sides,pry unit up 1" with flat bar, slide angle iron cupped on unit corners or fastened by self drilling screws, lift and block up on joists. If there isn't room to lift enough to clear pan sides,lift enough to line pan with epdm shower material. Special glue and accessories are availble to install drain pipe fitting.
    Truth is this is a chore where one has to fly by the seat of their pants because every case is different. The unit is supposed to be hung above pan. The pan is there for emergency overflow should primary catch pan inside handler stop up. In day to day operation there should be no water in pan.

• clocert
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I don't think this is a job for myself. I'll call a couple of AC firms and see if they have better or easier way to handle this. Thanks again.

• Susan Tynan
    8 years ago

Have you thought about JB Weld over the leaky holes ? That may take you a few more years. OR I placed another air handler drain pan underneath with another drain pipe hooked into the other... works fine and bides time to save up for a new unit one day..

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES