Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dazedandconfused_gw

Steam heat options in kitchen renovation-suggestions please

dazedandconfused
10 years ago

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a kitchen renovation and the steam radiator we have now must be moved to make way for cabinets. Our architect suggested toe kick heaters but I the few contractors Ive had come to do a site inspection said the toe kicks were not going to work with a steam system.

There is no wall space,whatsoever, in the new kitchen but plenty of doors and doorways. We are actually removing a wall to enlarge the kitchen space but will not gain any free wall space.

Would anyone have any suggestions? Would posting the kitchen layout help?

Thank you for your help.

Comments (12)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

What is happening to the wall where the steam radiator currently exists? How far away is the next closest radiator?

Post the layout, it may spark some ideas.

• dazedandconfused
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking time out to help me:)

Where the radiator is now will be cabinets extended to the wall. The existing radiator is on the same wall as the kitchen door ( top right on plans) between that door and the new sink wall. ( it's on the 2ft wall space on the plans - top right).

Oh, it's the only radiator in the kitchen. There's a radiator in the dining room under the first window from bottom ( on right wall).

There is also a radiator in the renovated family room right next to doorway to sunroom.

Thanks,
    D&C

This post was edited by dazedandconfused on Sat, May 4, 13 at 14:46

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Do you have a one pipe or two pipe steam system?

I have included a link of a company that makes stylish steam radiators. I have no experience with their products.

The only possible wall space left in the kitchen is above the door. I know it is not ideal, but take a look at the link and think about installing a small radiator above the door.

I see you have a Mitsubishi wall mounted cooling unit in the kitchen. You could get one of these for heating and cooling. That could also be installed over the door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steam Radiators

• dazedandconfused
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

I believe i have a 1 pipe system. Thanks for the link. I actually was looking at these radiators a couple of days ago...lol

I only have 8ft ceilings so, I'm not sure i could actually fit a radiator above a door. The Mitsubishi unit might be a good solution,though.

One plumber suggested I put a radiator in a cabinet at the end of the sink run, pretty much where the existing radiator is now. Is this even code?

Thanks again Mike!

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I am not sure if the radiator in the cabinet is code or not. I question how much heat will be dissipated inside an enclosed cabinet. It would need to have an open grille of some sort. I would also be concerned about the long term affect of the heat on the cabinet.

Is the there a basement underneath the kitchen? If you had a hot water heating system then the solution would be radiant floor heating. It could work with a steam pipe but it is not going to be as effective.

Another option is electric baseboard heater in the cabinet toe kick. Heating with electricity is expensive but given the area is small and kitchens tend to be warm it may not be too costly.

• dazedandconfused
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike, yes, the cabinet would have to have some kind of grill on the front or I'd be heating the inside of cabinets only. I also am concerned about the cabinet finishes getting affected by the heat. So, I'm not too keen on this idea.

There is a basement under the kitchen and the plumber said radiant floor heat with steam is " very expensive" and since we are doing oak flooring ( to match the rest of the house) we would have to be careful about the temp since the steam could warp the wood flooring... My husband already nixed this because it would blow our budget out of the water.

Are there any other cons to doing the electric toe kick heaters besides the cost to run them?

Thanks again, Mike:)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I am not aware of any significant draw backs other than operating costs. The electric toe kick heater will need its own wiring from the circuit breaker box. This is not a big deal assuming you have space for a new circuit breaker. I would recommend getting a heater wired for 240 volts. This will put out twice the amount of heat as a 120 volt version. I suggest you put a thermostat in the kitchen to control the heater. This will allow you to set the temperature for the area. The heater will also run less when you are in the kitchen baking and cooking.

• dazedandconfused
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your help, Mike. Seems like electric toe kicks might be the best solution for us.

• dazedandconfused
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, for the double post. Edited to delete.

This post was edited by dazedandconfused on Mon, May 6, 13 at 8:07

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I grew up in an old house with one pipe steam radiators. My preference would have been to keep your steam radiator, but I agree the electric toe kick is the better solution.

Good luck with your new kitchen.

• dazedandconfused
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I agree that keeping the radiator would be the most cost effective and the most efficient. If I can make it work, I'll keep it. If not, then it'll be electric toe kicks for us:)

Thanks so much for taking time out to help me.
    D&C

• HU-724862604
    last month

Hello, just curious what you eventually did? And has it been working fine for you…this is my exact situation to a ’T’!!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022