Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ciucca

Choice between Rheem systems

ciucca
12 years ago

Finally found a contractor that I am happy with. I know many of you are going to say the system is too big for the house, but this guy did the manual J and said from his experience this is what I need. Anyway which one seems like the best option? Unfortunately I do not have all the exact model numbers, anyway any opinions?

option 1:

RGFM 95% 100BTU furnance

RASL 4 ton 2 stage SEER 18

Rheem matching coil

New Line sets

New disconnect and whips

Rheem Thermostat

Modify all ducts as necessary

10 parts and labor warranty

after rebates about 9.5k

option 2:

RGFM 95% 100BTU furnance

RARL 4 ton 2 stage SEER 16

Rheem matching coil.

New Line sets

New disconnect and whips

Rheem Thermostat

10 parts and labor warranty

after rebates about 9k

option 3:

RGFM 95% 100BTU furnance

14AJM 4 ton SEER 14.5

Rheem matching coil.

New Line sets

New disconnect and whips

Rheem Thermostat

5 parts and labor warranty

after rebates around 7.5K

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Provide the rheem coil mdl number for each quote. Coils make the difference as far as performance/efficiency numbers.

IMO

• ciucca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I noticed he did not specify the coil, although he said it would be the correct one, and call me stupid he seemed trustworthy.

Do you know what is the correct coil, so I can see if they specify the right one?

Thanks,

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

too many matching choices to speculate.
    find out what dealer proposes-then I'll make a comment.

IMO

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

ciucca

please recheck mdl number of the furnace as well.

IMO

• ciucca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Furnace model number is RGRM10. The coil is either RCFM or RCFN. The cont. said he would be more specific with the numbers when I signed the contract. I didn't want to press him, since I did not think it was fair to seem like I was going to sign. I still have to decide between these 3 rheem and the comfortmaker from my previous post. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 contractors and 4 possible systems.

I have a carrier guy coming on Monday, but from researching I think the comfortmaker VS 95 is same as the carrier performance 95. I expect the carrier guy to be more than the comfortmaker since this is a bigger operation. ANyway I should give the guy on Monday the benefit of the doubt, he may be the person I go with :)

I have become obsessed with heating and cooling, I cannot wait to make a decision so I can go back to my regular life :)

• mike_home
    12 years ago

The Carrier Performance line is at the upper end of the equipment line up. I don't think it is the equipment as the Comfortmaker, so expect to pay more money.

Will the Rheem contractor apply for the NJ Cool Savings rebate? It requires a the Manual J calculation to be submitted.

• ciucca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tiger,

find out what dealer proposes-then I'll make a comment

He proposes option 2. 16 SEER

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

ciucca

The RGRM furnace is a two stg VS model.The RGFG furnace listed in your first thread is a nicer furnace with full modulating capability.

I suggest you look at the Rheem site and read carefully the specs and details of both furnaces as well as the RARL two stg AC condenser before making a final decision.

The RGRM furnace would require a good two stg thermostat where the RGFG would require special Rheem modulating thermostat.

http://www.rheem.com/products/heating_and_cooling/

IMO