Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austintxac

Need help with HVAC quote

austintxac
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to first thank you for the knowledge you have and sharing it with everyone. IâÂÂm feeling a little lost and I appreciate the help everyone has given me. So thank you.

I have a 1300 square foot house in Austin Tx with very mild winters 32 degrees for 7 days a year, but very hot Summers 100+ and IâÂÂve been quoted a price below for the equipment. IâÂÂve moved away from the HP because IâÂÂve learned that the Natural Gas I have is way cheaper to run in the winter time for the heat. So it looks like it would cost me a little more to install a Heat Pump. So IâÂÂve thinking of moving over to a A/C system & Furnaces.

However, IâÂÂm having my attic spray foamed, so I need a 90+ efficient furnace to meet code. I was wonder if that price is fair for my area, and if the equipment is balanced and will work well together. If IâÂÂm missing anything please let me know.

Furnace model- 925TA48080E17
Evap cool- CNPHP4321
Condenser- 24ACC6
The price is going to be $6500 for everything.

Thank you again for your time,
Michael

Comments (17)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What size condenser quoted? What size do you have now?

Why a high eff furnace when your winters are so mild?

And dealer is definitely oversizing you with furnace which will only contribute to comfort issues and hurt you in pocketbook for operating costs.

IMO

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

An 80k 90% furnace in a 1300 sqft home in Auxtin, TX is ridiculous. It would likely be more than enough for many homes in the Northeast that have twice the living space. Of course heat loss isn't simply based off square footage, but that should give you an idea of how oversized it is. Do you want to do business with a dealer that does not size equipment properly to meet your comfort needs? Unfortunately you just have to wonder what else they will do wrong.

Carrier and Bryant are the same product, but it's interesting they're proposing a Bryant furnace with a Carrier condenser.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Tue, May 7, 13 at 12:36

• austintxac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info, I have a 2.5 ton a/c system today and they are going to replace it with a 2 ton unit because of the spray foam in the attic ceiling. I have to have a 90% or higher furnace because of the city code. I understand it want have a pay back, but is that unit over sized for heating. What amount should have I have? if a 80k is over sized should I have a 40k for furnace for my house.

Thanks

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

Sizing isn't a guessing game. They need to do a Manual J load calculation to determine your home's heat loss and heat gain. I suspect a 40-45k furnace would be sufficient with plenty of room to spare. I don't know off the top of my head the smallest size 90% furnace Carrier offers, but your Carrier dealer should.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Tue, May 7, 13 at 12:56

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I find it unbelievable that a state like Texas with its moderate winter climate would allow a city to mandate a 90+% efficient condensing furnace.

You have verified that with the correct city dept?

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Tue, May 7, 13 at 14:55

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The furnace you have been quoted is a Bryant 2-stage 96.2% furnace with an ECM blower. It also comes in 40,000 and 60,000 BTU sizes. I would think the 40,000 BTU would be sufficient for your location.

You should get a true 2-stage thermostat if you want to get the full benefit out of this furnace.

You have been quoted a 3.5 ton coil. I am not sure if that is a legal match with the 2 ton condenser. I think 2 tons is going to be marginal for 100+ degree summers even if you foam the attic. You need to verify all model numbers and sizes before you finalize the agreement.

I also suggest getting a 4 inch media filter.

• austintxac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for your information.

Aren't the numbers below the model numbers
    Furnace model- 925TA48080E17
    Evap cool- CNPHP4321
    Condenser- 24ACC6

What should I be asking the contractor if they are not?
    Thanks

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The model number of the condenser is incomplete. It does not indicate the size. It is also a Carrier model number. Is he planning to use a Carrier condenser and a Bryant furnace? I question the size of the coil and the furnace. They both seem too big.

Ask for the AHRI directory number for the system. This will indicate if the parts are a legal match.

• austintxac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I emailed the contractor hopefully he will respond.

• austintxac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The installer stated that the AHRI # is 4744838.

So knowing very little about A/C system does that clear things up?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

4744838 Active Systems COMFORT 16 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ABC636A**30 CNPH*4321A** 59*P5A080E17**16 34400 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 260 Yes

A nice system but you won't ever get me to believe you need an 80 K.

That furnace is available in a 60 K size, probably still oversized but better than the 80 K.

4744837 Active Systems COMFORT 16 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ABC636A**30 CNPH*4321A** 59*P5A060E17**14 34600 12.70 15.50 1 RCU-A-CB 270

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Fri, May 10, 13 at 12:07

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

One other thought.

You might consider the next model up in AC condensers, Performance 16. A nicer model.

Also insist on the ALA aluminum evap coil. Dealer will know.

4765020 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 16 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ACC636A**30 CNPH*4321A** 59*P5A080E17**16 34000 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 257 Yes

You should note dealer has quoted a 3 ton condenser not the 2 ton you referred to in earlier post. I think even with your attic foam upgrade, I might just stay with a 2 1/2 ton condenser.

IMO

• austintxac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think your right about staying with the 2 1/2 ton system. Even after I spray the foam in the attic. Would it be okay for him to just install the 3 ton if that is what they have. Because really does 1/2 a ton really make that much of a change.

Thanks

• rickymartin85
    10 years ago

Whether you want to use a Goodman air conditioning system for home or office, you can find an air conditioning system that meets your needs and budget comfortably. With the reduction in your electricity bills, you will soon thank yourself for this investment. The higher the SEER rate of an air conditioning system, the more you will save on your electricity bills. So go ahead and make the investment, and bring home a brand new Goodman air conditioning system.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goodman Air Conditioner Systems

• mike_home
    10 years ago

"Would it be okay for him to just install the 3 ton if that is what they have. "

If you are working with a good contractor, then he won't install "what they have". Why would you pay for a larger condenser than you need? It will cost more money up front, run less efficiently, and not be as comfortable.

• MeloAir
    10 years ago

There is a current proposal that would increase the minimum efficiency of furnaces to 90% for some northern parts of the country, Texas is not included. I would have a hard time believing a particular county would mandate this on their own. I believe right now it is currently being challenged and not yet active.

Here is a link that might be useful: DOE 90% Furnace Rule

• Servicetech
    10 years ago

Apparently you don't believe in the spray foam. A 2ton keeps my 1600sqft house 75 when it's 100 outside with normal insulation. If you don't think spray foam is significantly better why drop $10k to have it done? A 1.5ton should be plenty if the contractor does the spray foam correctly. Remember all the ductwork and air handler will now be inside conditioned space which saves about 1/4 of your cooling/heating load. A 40k furnace is more than enough, but most brands don't carry 90% that small. Rheem has a 45k, which is the smallest 90% I've seen.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm