Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ballina_gw

New heat pump and ducts

ballina
10 years ago

House is 25 yrs old. Have flexi ducts and we see dust covering areas near vents. Decided it is time to replace the duct work and heat pump is 14 yrs old and also needs replacement.

Current heat pump is 3 tons (my sq footage is 1852) and dealer had to raise fan to high on air handler when installed after I complained about low flow of air. Split system.

I was thinking we probably should get a 3 1/2 ton heat pump and a new air handler which hangs from he garage ceiling. Heat pump on concrete slab.

Can you give me an idea as to what the price estimates might be for new ducts and heat pump - looking to buy either 14 or 15 Seer rated. I currently have Carrier heat pump, was thinking to look at a Trane too and what is a good brand for a third quote? I have two dealers that install duct work that I will be asking for quotes. Just want to get a round figure to decide which way to finance replacements.

Thanks
Rose

Comments (5)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What is location?

How many supply runs? How many returns?

Ductwork material is generally quite cheap and usually the labor is on the low side of wages for HVAC. Really depends on location, marketplace competitiveness, and if dealer likes to use replacement ductwork system as a large profit center.

You want R8 insulation at a minimum. I would not use flex except for supply and return runs.

Ductwork is easily accessible and in attic?

Why do you feel new ductwork is needed?

Post back.

IMO

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

Start with having a load calculation done to determine your required capacity (tons). Very likely 3 tons is more than enough for that size home, and most of your issues are ductwork related. So I do not recommend going up in size simply based on your previous experiences with the old system -- oversizing would just create further issues.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Sun, May 5, 13 at 13:25

• ballina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in Bradenton Florida. 1 story house with catheral ceiling only in family room. Split bedroom plan - total of 3 bedrooms, 3 walk in closets and every room and closet has a air condition vent and a air return.

In 2005 FPL tested all our vents for possible air leakage. We had four vents as a problem and had furnace people come out to seal those leaks.

Supply runs - FPL based on that survey (I have a grid printout which I uploaded as a photo to this note) it looks like I would need 16 supply runs (assuming you mean number of connectors). I have a long metal duct work with flex tube connectors in attic that runs the width of the house. For the two back bedrooms it looks like one large duct and then flexi ducts attached at a box junction.

Most of the flex tubing can easily be replaced. Might have a bit of trouble getting the flex over the catheral ceiling to get to the two backs bedrooms. All vents and air returns are in the ceiling as we have our house on a cement slab.

When I clean my bathroom counter (small bathroom) the vent is fairly close to it and the very next day it feels like a coating has been laid over it. In the kitchen the vent is close to our two coffee makers and there is always specs of dust and white pieces on on the tops - every day. Wipe them clean and the tops are covered again the next day.

We run the air almost all year round in Florida and it was just this year that I noticed this happening. We also had a fruit rat infestation in the attic a few years ago and they could of chewed into some of the tubing too as it happened after we had the flex tubes sealed.

We use a high quality filter in the main air return vent inside the hosue too. My husband buys the one that stops pollen and dust as I have sinus problems.

Thank you for you assistance.

Ryan I will check on line to determine the load caluclation and then when I pick a firm I will have them recheck it too.l

• ballina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

upload

• ballina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is grid