Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmyland

New Bryant furnace and AC quote check please!

jimmyland
11 years ago

Hello,

I got a quote to replace an existing AC and Furnace that is quite loud. I'm getting a new system mainly for it to be quieter. I'm reusing the existing ducting. Please let me know if the quote is reasonable.

Quote: $6,800

Furnace: 315JAV060110

AC: 186BNA048000

Coil: CNPVP4821ATA

Thermostat: Evolution Control

The house is 1,850 sqft, living in the SF Bay Area in California.

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (13)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Jimmy

Good price but both AC and furnace look oversized especially furnace!

What s average winter and summer temp-average not extreme?

Post back.

IMO

• jimmyland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Average summer temp is mid-80s, although there's usually a couple of weeks of 100s.
    average winter temp is mid-40s, but it can drop below that for a bit too...

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Jimmy

I would want a load calc for both cooling and AC.

What size are existing that you plan on replacing?

New lineset included? What about filter cabinet?

IMO

• jimmyland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't think they're replacing the lineset. He's just going to drop the new system in the same place, and use the same lines as the existing. There is a kink in the existing copper tube going to the evaporator and he's going to replace a section of that.

We didn't talk about a filter cabinet, he's just going to replace the existing grill on the ceiling with ones using latches and the filter goes in there.

I don't know the sizing of the existing furnace, I believe the AC is 4-ton. I'll need to look more when I get home, but the furnace looks quite old. They both still heat and cool the house fine, its just loud....

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Your current furnace is noisy probably because it is oversized. You have realtively mild winters, you should be able to use with a 70,000 BTU furnace, or a 90,000 BTU at most. I would think a 3 ton AC would be sufficient. Did your old equipment short cycle?

In general bigger is not better when it comes to HVAC. You want properly sized equipment. If this contractor does not want to do a load calculation, then get some additional quotes. You can call additional Bryant or sister company Carrier dealers so you can do apple to apple comparisons.

• jimmyland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll definitely ask for a load calculation.
    What is a normal cycle? I've not really paid attention to the cycles, but I think its around 5-10 minutes of heat every couple of hours...

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Lineset size has to match to manufacturer specs of new condenser. If it doesn't, then you will be making a rookie and bad mistake.

IMO

• jimmyland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Would it be safe to assume that smaller would be cheaper? The contractor didn't give me a breakdown of the pricing, how much of that is equipment price and how much is labor?

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Jimmy

Keep in mind correct size is key to both comfort, normal wear and tear to the equipment, and operating cost. More is not better.

While you should save some dollars going down in size, it is not as much as a homeowner would think or expect.

Follow up on lineset size. Not to be overlooked or disregarded.

IMO

• jimmyland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just so I'm clear, the lineset is the copper tube going from the outside condenser and in my case going to the attic and to where the furnace and coil is, right?

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Lineset has two coopers tubes, a liquid line and a vapor line. They connect the coil and the condenser.

There usually is not much differnece in price for a larger furnace. Condensers however do vary by a few hundred dollars as you change size.

• jimmyland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On the question of the line set, the contractor said he had planned on just flushing the old line with compressed air. If I want to, he can replace it completely, same size, 7/8.
    He said $300 additional.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

If it were my house, I would want a new lineset. I am not an expert, but blowing compressed air through the lineset when changing refrigerants is not the proper procedure.