Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
95% AFUE furnance venting

Posted by rcouret (My Page) on
Sat, May 23, 09 at 10:18

Most articles and post here said you vent a 95% AFUE furnance out the side of the house with PVC. Is that a requirement or can you vent thru the existing roof jack.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 95% AFUE furnance venting

Don't know what a 'jack' is, but 95ers are vented through the roof all of the time, as long as length/elbow/diameter restrictions are not exceeded.

V

o

"roof jack" just what some of us old boys called a Roof Cap/Vent.

Thanks, and I assume the PVC is to prevent corrosion problem associated with the moisture in
the 95% furnance?

o

Does your 'jack' looks anything like these: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=roof+cap&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2 ?

I can't comment on your local codes. My impression is that it would be prohibited, due to close proximity of the intake and exhaust stacks. Bad news.

Are you not able to do any sidewall penetrations, or are you afraid of additional roof penetrations?

V

o

You can use existing vertical vents as a chase but the vent & intake must be appropriate size PVC all the way outside.

o

thanks for info. Have since found manual for 95% furnace on web showing vent and intake.
I will use outside wall for intake and existing roof vent for venting.

Yes, and another example of roof jack...
http://www.pricegrabber.com/vent+roof+jack/products.html/form_keyword=vent roof jack/skd=1/mode=pg_yahoo_us_adv

o

"thanks for info. Have since found manual for 95% furnace on web showing vent and intake.
I will use outside wall for intake and existing roof vent for venting."

This can cause problems (heat shutting down) and may be prohibited by code.

Check your manual and see if it says anything about intake and exhaust pipes being in the same pressure zone.

V

o
re: RE: 95% AFUE furnance venting

P.S., you can have a concentric (1 opening) termination in the sidewall. This serves intake and exhaust.

V

o

V
"intake and exhaust pipes being in the same pressure zone."
You got to explain that to me. I can understand the difference in pressure and a zone areas. You got a zone on different floors,attic, outside, etc. If we call the vent as an outside Zone what zone do I draw from... if specs require?
I will check that out. I suspect the contractor should know but would like to be armed with as much info as possible when work is in starts/progress.

And I see no problem in having a concentric opening, but isn't that the same zone? and even closer.

bob

o
RE: 95% AFUE furnace venting

In simple terms, many cat 4 vented appliances require intake and exhaust in close proximity of each other with similar lengths and elbows when installing as a direct vent otherwise the furnace pressure switches do funny things and the furnace usually doesn't work well.

Manual will state install requirements

o

We are getting a Lennox G71P installed. I am used to flues going trough the roof. The salesman said it would be vented through the wall. Is that good? What if it gets blocked by snow?

o

I got a bid on a system that included the Lennox G71P, and they said it needs to be vented via PVC because the unit draws so much heat out of the air that the remaining air is too moist for metal ducts. He recommends the concentric vents thru the wall for these units b/c it helps to balance airflow in and out, though some people install them with only outbound PVC, which he doesn't like because it can cause vaccuum situations in the house. I'm just attempting to repeat what I heard from a NATE-certified Lennox installer. Good luck to both of us finding the right equip and installer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here