Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farbie_gw

Rheem Central Air

farbie
10 years ago

I live on Long Island NY and need to replace my 19 year old Lennox central air. I've had several contractors out and settled on one but would like to know if the system below is good. Everyone says theirs is the best and the competing brand is inferior. The system is a 4 ton - 2 stage system
Rheem condening unit - RARL048
Air Handler - RHPNHM4824JC
New Lineset
Cost - 6600 after LIPA rebate
Is Rheem a good brand compared to American Standard, Lennox Etc.

Comments (6)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Excellent system

You should verify AHRI matching number with quoting dealer.

5069750 Active Systems RHEEM RARL SERIES RHEEM MANUFACTURING COMPANY RARL-049JEZ RHPN-HM4824+RCSN-H*4824 50000 13.00 16.50 1 RCU-A-CB Yes 367 Yes

How do you filter return air?

What thermostat to be used?

I have said many times that Rheem/Rudd are probably one of the most underrated and overlooked brands in the HVAC marketplace.

You are replacing a 4 ton system? I assume you have boiler heat? What fuel source?

IMO

• farbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am replacing a 3 1/2 ton single stage system and yes I have oil fired hot water heating system.
    I plan on having a 4inch media filter installed for air filtration (my cat has allergies - dont laugh).
    No installer has mentioned replacing the current thermostat. Do you have a recommendation? Do I need a special thermostat for this system??
    What is a AHRI number (sorry for my ignorance)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What is your electric rate?

How much do you pay for oil?

AHRI is the official organization that certifies matching systems and the performance/efficiency numbers for residential HVAC. It is generally considered the authority. Ask dealer for matching number to confirm the system I listed in my post.

Why are you going up in size? While the system you were quoted is 2 stage and only available in full ton sizes, has dealer looked at your ductwork system to see if it can handle the extra CFMs?

IMO

• farbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Electric is 22 cents a kwh and heating oil has averaged $3.80 per gallon this year.
    My house is on 3 levels and is approximately 2300 square feet. All dealers recommended a 4 ton unit in a 2 stage configeration. None did a manual J but are required to do so by the local utility in order to get the utility rebate.
    The duct work was examined and can handle the extra CFM's.
    A 3 1/2 ton single stage Rheem system would be $1200 less (less of a rebate from utility) but I thought the 2 stage unit would be cheaper to run over the long hall

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I would want the matching Rheem thermostat or at least the equivalent like a third party brand such as HW.

I ran a quick analysis of your fuel rates, oil versus electric for heating. Results below. I assume your boiler is around 80% efficient. While you have high electric rates, on BTU basis electric is about 30% cheaper than oil down to your temperature balance point.

Cost per 100,000 btu of useable heat
    Heat pump: $2.34
    Oil: $3.36

Certainly the price difference between the HP version and the AC version would be recovered in probably 2-3 years. Something you may wish to consider.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

"None did a manual J but are required to do so by the local utility in order to get the utility rebate."

Ask for a copy of the Manual J calculation so you know you will get the rebate.