dingtech

Thermostat Recommendation for Bryant System

dingtech
9 years ago

We just had a new Bryant HVAC system installed:
Furnace: Evolution 315AAV048090
AC: Preferred 126BNA036000
Coil: CNPVP3717ALA

Furnace is 2-stage with variable speed motor but AC is only one-stage. The contractor installed a Honeywell 6000 2-heat/2-cool programmable thermostat.

The furnace supports Super-dehumidify mode but I am not sure if that mode required a 2-stageI AC. And I read that to utilize it we also need a compatible thermostat. So my questions:
- Will Super-dehumidify mode work with one-stage AC?
- Do you guys think it is worth upgrading to a compatible thermostat (T6-PRH thermidistat or Evolution� Control) even if the AC is only one-stage?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Cheap stat for a premium system.

Should be the Evolution controller.

For full functionality, You need the Evolution controller for an Evolution system. The Evolution controller will give you dehumidify on demand feature.

What is your location? Why an 80% eff furnace?

Post back.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Fri, May 9, 14 at 10:47

• dingtech
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the reply.

We are in Virginia. The main reason we chose 80% furnace is the cost and we also heard that high-eff furnace requires more maintenance. We want a 2-stage variable-speed one and 315A is within the budget.

So Super-dehumidify will work with single-stage 126B? Bryant website says "Perfect Humidity⢠technology ensures optimal summertime cooling dehumidification when system components include multi- and variable-speed cooling products".

And does Preferred 126B fully support Evolution controller?

Thanks.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

I question a Bryant dealer who does not install an Evolution thermostat with Evolution equipment. Did he at least offer it as an option?

The Evolution thermostat has a cool to dehumidify feature. It will continue to run AC until the humidity level you have set has been met. It may go as much as 3 degrees below the temperature set point to achieve the humidity level.

The thermostat may also slow down the blower speed when it is in the cool to dehumidify mode. Since the the AC is single stage the variation in blower speed is not large but it helps.

The thermostat also should do a better job of controlling the furnace. It will also report many diagnostics features which the Honeywell 6000 cannot.

• dingtech
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We got quotes from two contractors on this system: the 1st quote includes Honeywell 6000 while the 2nd includes Preferred Thermidistat T6-PRH01-A but was $900 more. None offered Evolution control. I didn't pay much attention on thermostat at that time. My mistake.

So is Thermidistat T6-PRH01-A good enough considering the AC is only one-stage? Or should we go for Evolution control (man, it is expensive!)?

Thank you very much!

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Your dealer is steering you with poor pricing. The Edge thermidistat would be a big improvement over the HW 600 model. Price should be in the $300 range, the Evolution maybe $6-700 range since you purchased a complete new system.

I agree though with Mike. Your dealer did both you and the new system a disservice by not installing the Evolution controller.

IMO

• bsmith
    9 years ago

Not suggesting the Evolution controller for a proprietary 2-stage and above system proves he knows very little about this equipment. I would question whether he had the ability to properly install it much less service it. Personally that's a huge red flag for me.

• dingtech
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the comments. I will check with the installer to see how much it will cost to upgrade to Edge thermidistat or Evolution control.