Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patpaxton_gw

Mechanically unfit home owner needs help!

patpaxton
9 years ago

Hey guys...need opinions on which central air system to go with. I'm in Massachusetts. Quotes I'm considering:
Lennox XC17 Signature Series Condenser w/CBX32mv Signature Series Air Handler. $8,075 installed. Includes the usual haul away, all obvious work, thermostat.
Carrier Infinity Series 24anb136a003 condenser w/Carrier Infinity Series fe4anf005000 air handler. $8,515. Also includes usual labor and a thermostat. Both quotes include all applicable rebates.
Any input/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. As the subject line says..I have no knowledge about any of this stuff. Both contractors are highly rated and seemingly very capable. Thanks!!

Comments (19)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Carrier quote includes Infinity controller? It should. No substitution allowed.

Just curious, how do you heat? Boiler? What fuel?

New lineset? Or Flushing old? This is replacement system? What size?

Post back.

IMO

• patpaxton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, includes Infinity controller (assume controller means theromstat). Model # is systxccitn01 (non wifi). Heat is boiler/gas. Lineset will be new. Yes, replacement system in a 2 zone home. This is for the 2nd floor. Replacing a 3 1/2 ton unit that was original to the home 17 years ago.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

The price you were quote for the Carrier is a bit high. Part of the reason is because it is currently Carrier's top of the line AC condenser.

I think the Carrier 24anb1 condenser is overkill for a location like Mass. The Infinity 24anb7 or even the Performance 24acb7 should be fine.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Assuming you are sized correctly, both systems are premium systems. The Carrier condenser is two stage while the Lennox is sgl stage. I would give the edge to Carrier. I would ask Carrier dealer to match the Lennox price.

6937667 Active Systems CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING INFINITY SERIES PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ANB136A**31 FE4AN(B,F)005L+UI 1120 860 36000 14.00 19.50 1 RCU-A-CB 229 Yes

Insist on L suffix on air handler that has the aluminum coil. Verify above AHRI AC Directory matching number with dealer. How do you filter return air?

IMO

• bsmith
    9 years ago

In a Boston, Mass dominate heating climate (with 7,300 heating hours in 8760 overall total hours) spending tons of bucks on a high-efficiency ac is a supreme waste of money.

If I lived in Boston, I would only go with two Carrier options, either the cheapest Comfort series with a variable speed air handler and dehumidifier, third party parts would be fine OR the Greenspeed (heating/cooling) with the works. The Greenspeed is only a few thousand more than the top-of-the-line Infinity.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

If OP wants to spend the money then that's fine. OP should know this is top of line Carrier with all the bells and whistles.

No GreenSpeed though needed. OP indicates boiler heat fueled by nat gas.

There are several good alternatives though if interested in less expensive AC options. If you want specifics, I will be glad to list them so you can get them priced.

Let me know if I can help.

IMO

• patpaxton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help everyone. I am aware that these are the high end options for each manufacturer. My thinking, albeit very possibly flawed, is that I'd rather pay more now and not worry about it down the road. The warranties, I believe, are 10 year for the higher end units, versus 5 years for less expensive units. I understand I'd never get my money back based on the # of cooling days in Mass, but peace of mind is worth something to me as well. Btw...each company also gave me quotes for less expensive systems, as follows:
    Carrier Comfort Series 3.5 ton Model 24abc642a003, 16.5 seer.
    Carrier Comfort Series air handler model FX4dnf043000
    No thermostat. Installed for $5,600 after rebates.
    Lennox Merit Series 13acx-042 condenser w/CBX25-042 air handler. This includes a thermostat, but the manufacturer/model # was not provided. Installed for $6,475.
    Thoughts on these systems versus the higher end systems? Wide open to other suggestions as well. I'm not married to any brand...just looking to get something that I can have installed, that does a great job and that I don't have to worry about for a long, long time.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

What is sq footage of living area that this system will serve?

I don't understand why you are replacing a 3 1/2 ton AC system with a 3 ton. Please advise.

Here is a good substitute for the nice Infinity system you were quoted.

Carrie Performance 17 two stage AC condenser with var speed air handler. You would want to add the Carrier Edge Thermidistat.

6937617 Active Systems CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING PERFORMANCE SERIES PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ACB736A**31 FV4CN(B,F)005L 1050 840 36000 13.50 17.00 1 RCU-A-CB 263 Yes

Nothing wrong with those numbers and certainly as good if not better than the XC17 Lennox system. Should be some good savings. Ask Carrier dealer for quote.

BTW, I would not have that Mexican POJ low end Lennox Mdl 13ACX system.

IMO

• bsmith
    9 years ago

With a single stage or dual-stage compressor, paired with a variable speed air handler and a good dehumidifier, you'll experience less expense and the same comfort without the upfront costs.

Once you go to a variable speed compressor, you might as well get one that does both heating/cooling for an extra 1-2K. Otherwise it's a huge waste of money in your region. States like Florida is where high SEER cooling equipment has a huge payoff. Now I'm going to post one of those IMOs. :)

FYI, many northeastern states including MASS is under an illegal cap-and-trade scheme called RGGI and it's making our gas/electric prices fluctuate wildly to sometimes high extremes. Every time I post this it raises awareness. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Greenhouse_Gas_Initiative

I'm personally not depending on our rates to stay put. Therefore I'm hedging my bets and bought a variable speed Carrier Greenspeed heatpump for both heating and cooling. I'll keep my gas steam boiler as a backup, but don't expect to use it much. Perhaps that scenario might interest you as well.

This post was edited by bsmith on Tue, May 27, 14 at 17:11

• mike_home
    9 years ago

Most of the Carrier equipment with the exception of the low end builder grade models have the 10 year parts warranty.

It does not make sense to pay for a condenser which has a high SEER rating in a location that does not have a high need for air conditioning. You will not see the return on investment even with high electric rates.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

OP needs to understand his choices.

Make the case for a HP on upstairs system. Definitely a GreenSpeed would be overkill for boiler system fueled by nat gas. It might be helpful to know the efficiency of boiler though.

I will rely on OP and previous poster to know what's going on with electric and heating fuel rates for Mass location.

I personally think a HP system would be overkill paired with a high eff nat gas fueled boiler system.

IMO

• bsmith
    9 years ago

For 1K more I say why not go with the Greenspeed. Or go with the lowest end. Take the saved money and buy yourself some cheap caulk, mastic, foil tape, cellulose, radiant barrier and beef up your ductwork and insulation.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

A different pt of view...

As long as OP has a high eff boiler system, I see no reason to go with a HP system. Now if you want some redundancy, then maybe a conventional HP system but I would not waste my money on a Greenspeed. Simply not cost effective and certainly no payback against nat gas...

And I am both curious and skeptical when this 1K figure is thrown around. Maybe pulled from a rabbit's hat?

IMO

• patpaxton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. So, can I assume the majority of the experts feel the top of the line equipment won't really matter? That the lower line of equipment will do a great job given the needs of the northeast? Sounds like most of you would go with the lower level Carrier over the Lennox? Do the lower level systems control humidity adequately? Again, thanks so much for your help...I really am clueless about this stuff and your insight is extremely helpful.

• bsmith
    9 years ago

Actually Tigerdunes, I said "an extra 1-2K" in another post. Based on his quotes, compared to quotes given for my region, that's the additional approximate price of the Greenspeed. Until he gets some more quotes we won't know the actual markup.

Again, all I can give is general advice. You cannot give definitive advice based on mere words when there are so many real-world variables.

OP. My advice is to get lots of quotes and don't be so clueless. Otherwise an ill-informed or uninformed consumer will be a victim to a hack.

On the lowest level I like the cheapest single speed paired with a variable stage air handler and a dehumidifier. I would definitely go in this direction if you truly like your current heating and overall fuel pricing.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Pat

You have not answered my question about the downsizing from a 3 1/2 ton to a three ton. Size of living space for this zone?

But if correct size is a 3 ton, then this is my best advice.

Here is a good substitute for the nice Infinity system you were quoted. Very comparable and should be significantly less expensive than the Infinity quote.

Carrier Performance 17 two stage AC condenser with var speed air handler. You would want to add the Carrier Edge Thermidistat.

6937617 Active Systems CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING PERFORMANCE SERIES PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ACB736A**31 FV4CN(B,F)005L 1050 840 36000 13.50 17.00 1 RCU-A-CB 263 Yes

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Tue, May 27, 14 at 19:16

• patpaxton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both companies said 3 ton is more than enough. Both said over sizing is a bigger problem than under sizing. Both did the measurements required to determine proper size. The original was a builder install, so it may not have been the optimal size. Size of living space is approximately 1,500 sq. feet. We have a 3 ton system downstairs that does a great job. It's a NuTone. I had a guy do it without doing any research first. So, Bsmith, this is how I'm trying to be less clueless. I'm not an expert in this area, which is why I'm reaching out asking for help. I won't become an expert in time to make an informed decision on my own, thus my request for help. Again, thanks to everyone for your great advice. Tigerdunes...I will have my Carrier guy price the system you recommend. Thanks so much.

• bsmith
    9 years ago

It's tough patpaxton, because you don't want to be put into desperate decision-making purchase. The best time to HVAC shop is in the off-season when dealers are way more generous with their time and pricing.

My advice is to you is keep reading in the meantime. Also become a member of Angie's List, a highly regarded dealer is less likely to steer you wrong.

More questions to ask.... how good is your current insulation, how many square feet of windows and what u-rating, how many levels to your home, does it have a basement, is your attic finished or unfinished? Because a 3-ton unit might be oversized based on your very brief description.

• patpaxton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bsmith...good advice. I am an Angies List member and the contractors I'm talking to have dozens of A ratings in the specific area I live. I read early on that installation is at least as important as the equipment purchased. Regarding your other questions, insulation seems to be good and well placed. No idea how many sq. ft. of windows or u-rating. 3 levels, not including an unfinished basement. Attic is walk up, but also unfinished.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions