Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air Intake Vent Size

Posted by aceh (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 9:11

I have a 3 ton central AC/Heating unit which uses a 20x24x1 filter. We recently put an addition, approx. 500 sq ft, on the house for a total of approx. 1500 sq ft.

We were told the existing unit was enough to support the addition. Should we make the intake vent a bit larger around 20x25x1 at least?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air Intake Vent Size

The filter size is determined by the amount of air flow which must pass through it. You have to determine when the air flow is the highest between the furnace and AC. The formula I use is for a filter rated for a velocity of 300FPM:

air flow (CFM) / 2.08 CFM/sq. in. = filter area (sq. inches)

Let's assume you have a 3 ton AC which would normally be using 1200CFM of air. The filter area calculation would be:

1200CFM /2.08 CFM/sq. in.= 577 sq. in.

A 20 X 24 filter (480 sq. in.) would be too small. You would need a 24 X 25 filter. The fact you added 500 sq. ft. of area does not change the filter requirements. If you are going to change the filter then see if you can fit a 4 inch media filter. They are less restrictive and last longer than the one inch.

o

Thanks Mike.

Would the CFM info be listed somewhere on the unit?

o

It is probably not listed on the unit. It may be in your furnace manual. An air flow of 350-400 CFM is what is required per ton of cooling. Usually the air flow for the air conditioning is higher unless you have an a very big furnace.

o

Thanks again Mike.

o

Chances are if they only installed one return on a 3 ton unit they also shortchanged the return ductwork. Adding a 2nd return will allow you to get the full 3 tons you paid for. Right now it is probably like most systems that only deliver 2/3's of their rated capacity.

FWIW my house is 100sqft bigger and cools with a 2 ton AC. It will keep it 75 indoors on a 100degree day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here