Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariya_gw

Estimate to repair or replace?

mariya
12 years ago

Hi

I am an Home owner in Palm Harbor , Florida . I have a 12 year old Trane model TWR060dD with a heat pump. The air conditioner has not been cooling well , especially when the temperature rises above 80 F . For the last three months I have had various companies come and work on it , but to no help . From Feb 2011 they have re charged R-22 Freon ( three times in three months ), changed the fan motor , capacitor , then last another capacitor on the compressor .Finally yesterday the AC stopped working , the new tech says that he needs to replace the whole system ,because he smells freon in the coils , there is a Freon leak, it needs a new compressor , a defrost board, acid away, dicer (stow) . Please help

If it is to replace then the warranty company says it will replace like to like ...so what should I look for . My house is 2700 sq ft and single floor , with large windows.

Comments (4)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

mariya

this is coastal location? it appears you have 5 ton HP.

I assume you are speaking about a third party warranty company. they have a dubious reputation in the industry and in your case probably just want to replace the outdoor condenser usually with a low end mdl.

you need a matching system that includes both outside condenser and inside air handler. replacing a new condenser paired with an old inside air handler would be a poor decision.

I would ask the warranty company for a settlement and then you make the decision.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes. see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

I would not purchase a new HP system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

• mariya
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thankyou for the feedback , its very helpfull. I have decided to replace both the inside and outside units , Can you explain to me what is SEER and is there a big difference between 13 SEER and 15 SEER .Thanks,Mariya

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

SEER is a measure of efficiency. The higher the number the better.

IMHO, the 'sweet spot', that is, the point where the cost you pay is worth the efficiency you get, is around 15. That is, the difference in price between 13 and 15 is made up quicker in lower bills than the price difference between 15 and 18+.

• mariya
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thankyou for your responses .
    I decided to go for a 15 SEER Trane model, Iam waiting to get the quote on it ..

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio