Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wardman_gw

Heat Pump in SouthEastern PA???

wardman
10 years ago

Hello - I am having a home built in Southeastern PA. It's all new construction and it's HVAC decision time. The contractor is offering to upgrade the base system to a Heat Pump. I have no comparison numbers to share - and asking for some expert opinion :

Base Model numbers (standard with house = no upcharge)
Standard
59SC2B040S17-12-Comfort 92 heater
CA13N030-Base 13 a/c

Upgraded ($9,500 x 2 systems)
59MN7A060V17-14-Infinity 98 heater
24ANB736A-Infinity 17/2-stage a/c
Greenspeed Heat Pump
25VNA036

Are HP's effecient in this climate? Should I opt for just Infinity furnace and infinity A/C (cost about $14,000 to upgrade). Does the HP need an AC as well?

Thanks - yes I am confused and feel the options list is helping to do that to me as well.

Wardman

Comments (10)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

If the house has access to natural gas, then it is probably not cost efficient to get both a high efficiency furnace and a heat pump. What are the gas and electricity rates in the area?

What is the area of the first and second floors? Does the home come with two furnaces and AC systems?

The base Carrier furnace is a Comfort series. It is a basic furnace with 92% efficiency rated at 40,000 BTU. I am not familiar with the AC model number. Are you sure it is correct?

The 59MN7 is the best furnace Carrier offers. The 24ANB7 is the second best AC.

The Greenspeed 25VNA is a new class of equipment technology. It can work down to very low outdoor temperatures. It is very expensive and would be over kill if you got a high efficiency furnace. A heat pump also works as an AC in the summer.

Are you being given other choices? I suggest upgrading from the low end equipment, but not paying for the top of the line. Home builders typically gouge buyers when it comes to HVAC upgrades. It looks like you be quoted full price for the upgrade and getting no credit for the base system.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrier Home Products

• wardman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike -

I need to find out rates and understand your point on the cost of gas vs savings... Yes, there will be two systems for 1st/basement (2700sq/ft) and 2nd floor (1400sq/ft). I also agree, I would like to upgrade but at what cost.

I'm sold on the furnace. Price TBD

To go from upgraded A/C to a HP, it is approx $2,200 per system more. Not sure I would make that difference up or in how long.

At the end of the day - not sure how they are justifying the added cost over the base systems - either 19K for the HP system or 14K for the all Infinity system over what comes standard.

This post was edited by wardman on Wed, May 29, 13 at 10:06

• mike_home
    10 years ago

A furnace and a heat pump can both be used to heat a home. The questions is which one is cheaper to operate for a given electric and gas rate. I highly doubt you will ever see a return on investment of $4,400 by upgrading to the heat pumps. You can scratch that off the list.

Will both furnaces be installed in the basement?

• wardman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks -

Yes, both will be installed the basement. I opted out of the attic system due to lack of access without adding more cost/loss of space in the second floor.

The note I got: "The model comes standard with a 60,000 BTU furnace and a 36,000 BTU (3 ton) air-conditioner for the first floor, and a 40,000 BTU furnace with a 30,000 (2.5 ton) BTU air-conditioner for the second floor."

I also just got a "Manual J Report" - looks like basement was not considered to be heated or conditioned

Wardman

This post was edited by wardman on Wed, May 29, 13 at 11:00

• wardman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The actual A/C unit is part number : CA13NA03000G

Does this make mroe sense or show up as a product?

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

Just a couple of observations and perhaps what youâÂÂve posted is not the entire story but I donâÂÂt see that this report is referenced to any known standard. I also question the upstairs load calculations, particularly regarding cooling. As hot air rises, as upper floors may receive more direct sunlight and as top floors are under hot roofs I might expect the upper floor may require even more cooling than similar sized lower levels.

At best, this calculation appears rather suspicious and incomplete.

What about the basement?

IMO

SR

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I was able to find the AC model number. It is a Base series model built as low end equipment for builders. You want to spend the money to upgrade.

The calculation doesn't make sense to me either. The areas of the first and second floor are wrong. The load values don't make sense.

• wardman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Everyone -

I have the full report, it was done by a company in NJ and says "Calcs approved by ACCA to meet Manual J 8th Ed for Duke model "worst case"". I could share but it's a pdf so I'd need to email it out.

I am concerned too, basement needs some added heating/cooling IMO and I'm asking about that.

If HVAC was to be in the attic, would that change the Manual J report? I wouldn't think so, but asking.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

As long as nat gas service is available, I would forget the heat pump and go high eff AC. Plus GreenSpeed HP would be overkill in your application.

IMO

• marcus4542
    10 years ago

Hi Wardman

Are you still looking for answers about installing a new HVAC system. I recently had trouble with my system and turned to Burns Mechanical. Check out their website they are a premiere Mechanical Services company that can handle all your needs. Check them out below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burns Mechanical