Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Central AC had power surge, compressor stopped?

Posted by Pennstategal (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 8:33

I had a power surge, my power in my house and my neighbors flickered. Central ac was on, it went off quickly, then on again making a louder than usual humming noise on the outside part, not the handler.

I shut down the central ac after about 5-10 min, waited 10 min, then turned it on again, the handler was blowing air, the fan outside was turning, but the compressor (black cylinder thing) was not on. A neighbor came over,
checked the house fuse box,
another fuse box outside the house with a flip up door?
All was well, he opened the case outside, the compressor was hot like an oven, to the touch. He used an electical meter? and said the compressor was getting power.

He tapped on the compressor, it started. Now it's working, after just hitting it? What could this be?

3 Ton Rheem, live in South FL, unit only 3 yrs old

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Central AC had power surge, compressor stopped?

Sounds like it stalled. Sometimes called 'rotor lock'. Let's let others comment about this.

o

May I suggest that you consider having an electrician install at your main electrical panel/entrance a 'whole house surge and lightning protection' box to protect everything connected to your panel from such events? You may also have in addition to your HP & fan coil other sensitive electronically controlled 220V equipment such as clothes dryers, stoves, pool equipment etc. that would benefit from such protection.

SR

o

"May I suggest that you consider having an electrician install at your main electrical panel/entrance a 'whole house surge and lightning protection' box to protect everything connected to your panel from such events? "

A surge protection system wil not do anything to protect against quick stops and starts that can lead to locking up of hermetic compressors.

o

A lot of compressors have a thermal switch inside the compressor that shuts it down when it gets to hot. Compressor has to cool off before it will come back on. When he tapped on the compressor it might have been about ready to switch back on. My Carrier units both have thermal switches.

o

I think planewood hit the nail on the head. The compressor was cooling down to the point where the internal thermal overload was just about ready to come on anyhow. It is a device to help save the compressor from damage if it were to overheat. Unless it becomes a problem (which I doubt it will) you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here