Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwrecktor

Help w/ Trane XR15 Quotes

dwrecktor
13 years ago

I'm in the DFW area and have the following two quotes from two different companies for an upstairs unit. My upstairs is 700 sq. ft. Both companies ran a heat load calculation, but came back w/ different configurations.

Here are the quotes:

1. Trane XR15 2.5-Ton Condenser (4TTR5030)

Trane High Efficiency Evaporator Coil (4TXCC005CC3)

Trane XC80 Variable Speed Gas Furnace (TUD2B060ACV3)

Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat (TCONT800)

$6905

2.. Trane XR15 2-Ton Condenser (4TTR5024E1000A)

Trane High Efficiency Evaporator Coil (4TXCB036BC3HCA)

Trane XV80 Variable Speed Gas Furnace (TUD060R9V3K)

Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat (TCONT802)

$6280

As you can see, for an AC newbie, all this can be very confusing. How do the two quotes compare? Can I change/downgrade somewhere to save a little $ and still qualify for the tax credit? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (13)

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

dwrector

first off, what size AC do you currently have and are replacing?

Quote #1 that's Trane's two stg communicating furnace. It requires the matching Trane communicating stat-XL900, not the stat quoted.

Quote #2 dealer needs to re-check evap coil for correct size mdl that qualifies for tax credit. I would also change stat to Trane's 803 at a minimum.

big difference for a 2 1/2 ton condenser in quote #1 and a 2 ton condenser in quote #2.

IMO

• ac_rookie
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie as well, but those systems seem really large for 700 sqft. Where is DFW?

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

Dallas Ft Worth

• lou239
    13 years ago

Help  we bought a house built in 1994 with two central air systems. We had to replace the 3T system in 2006 and did so with a Trane. Now the 2T system is gone and we have three confusing quotes. Also, the existing air handler space is narrow only 21.5 inches wide. The old handler is a Tempstar BEA24A model NBH3024SKB2.

The quotes are (prices installed w/o Tax credit):

Lennox $5757 16 SEER for
    XC14-024 AND CB27UH-024 AND 10 YEAR WARRANTY

REEM $3994 16.5 SEER for
    14AJM24A01 and RHLLHM2517JA including $500 for 10 year warranty labor

TRANE $6240 20 SEER for
    4TTZ0024A and 4TEE3CO3A (but this seems wider than 21.5 inches) 10 year warranty

So first since I have a relatively new Trane, IÂd like to also have another Trane just so warranty issues are easier. I think the XL15i should be slightly cheaper and do the job..BUT is there a Trane system with an air handler under 20" wide?

How does the REEM stack up against Trane? Bother the version bid and an XL15 system if it can fit?

Same question for LennoxÂ

With FloridaÂs heavier usage of A/C which is the better system and do you have any alternatives we should consider??

Thx

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

lou

pls start your thread rather than latching onto someone else's.

just good forum protocol and people will be more than glad to help you.

IMO

• dwrecktor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks tigerdunes. My current unit is a 17yr old 2.5ton Comfortmaker (original). I have a few more questions?

1. When you say "big difference for a 2 1/2 ton condenser in quote #1 and a 2 ton condenser in quote #2" are you referring to the price? If so, isn't there just a few hundred dollar difference between tonnage?

2. Could I just downgrade the xc80 furnace in quote #1 to a non-communicating one? Don't really need that feature?

Thanks.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

dwrecktor

the big difference I was referring to was in size-that's 6KBTU nominal difference. depending on dealer, the cost difference between a two ton and two and half ton should be marginal.

the downgrade from the XC80 communicating furnace would be the XV80 which is the furnace listed in your quote #2.

how did your 2 1/2 ton AC condenser perform? any short cycling? it would seem that a two ton would be more than adequate for 700 sq ft unless there is other information not provided.

review the load calcs very closely. I would be concerned about the size of the AC condenser.

I like quote #2 as long as size is correct and it qualifies for tax credit. Evap coil mdl/size needs to be rechecked. and the 803 stat or HW VP IAQ stat with DOD feature would be preferred over the 802. What about a whole house air filter cabinet?

IMO

• dwrecktor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, I was concerned about the tonnage difference, will take your advice on rechecking heat load calc. Being that we recently moved into house before AC problem started to surface, I can't really remember how old unit performed, at best it was adequate. I was leaning toward quote #2 as well so I'm glad you like it better.

You asked "What about a whole house air filter cabinet?"

What is that? Would I find it in the quote?

Thanks.

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

If they used the XV80 in quote one, the TCONT800 isn't the tstat you want (TCONT802 at least), since it can't control furnace staging (1 heat/1 cool tstat - the 802 is 3h/2c). The furnace would time the staging, not as ideal as using thermostat to control.

• dwrecktor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If I ask for the TCONT803, should I expect a price increase?

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

Their price increase would be very minimal, so I would expect no price increase on your end since you're about to spend plenty of money AND because quite frankly, that should have been the stat quoted to begin with.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

dwrecktor

agree with Ryan.

Keep in mind that Honeywell makes all the Trane stats and if not mistaken the HW 8321 mdl is same as Trane's 803. And I would bet the Honeywell mdl is less expensive than the Trane.

IMO

• JT12345
    13 years ago

My Trane XR15 makes a weird metallic sound from the compressor. The XR13 and XR14s that my neighbors have don't. Sansone the installer does not return my calls and neither does Trane. It is outside my son's room and he does not like sleeping there. It is a high pitch annoying sound coming from the new unit. It is not the loudness. It is the type and frequency of the sound that is unacceptable.
    Stay away from Trane. Stay away from Sansone. Had another tech look at it and says the compressor should be replaced or at least vaccummed and recharged.

No return calls from Trane or Sansone yet. It has been over a month now and i might have to take them to court. They suck. If i do I will post it on youtube. There is a youtube video of the xr15 with this sound and they think it is fine while their other units r a low hum.

My new XR15 sounds like a worn out 12 year old unit.