Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wenatcheesteve

Question on heat pumpefficiencies where we have cheap electricity

WenatcheeSteve
10 years ago

I live in central Washington (state) where we have really inexpensive electricity thanks to locally owned hydroelectric dams. Electricity is the only option that makes financial sense here for heating and cooling.

We also have a dry climate (not at all like Seattle), winter temps that might drop to single digits at night for a couple of weeks, and summer temps that might top 100 for a couple of weeks, but both seasons are generally a bit milder than that. Not too extreme in either direction.

The compressor on the contractor-grade Trane heat pump gave out a few weeks ago, which isn't bad considering that it lasted 18 years. So I'm getting quotes for replacement heat pumps and air handlers.

I have bids for both Trane and Lennox replacement units, both from reliable companies. My question is probably unusual due to our low electricity costs. Buying a unit with a higher SEER ratings doesn't make much financial sense here, because I would never save enough to make up the initial extra cost. Are there lower SEER models that aren't "contractor grade?" If yes, can someone point me to a Trane that they would recommend? Do I have to get a model with a higher SEER rating to get an air handler with a variable speed fan?

And I guess I should ask about price differences. The Trane quote is $2,000 more for an XR15 than an XB13 -- does that sound like a reasonable jump? The XR15 quote also includes a VS air handler while the XB13 does not.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I'm technical and knowledgeable about computers, but have no experience buying a heat pump, so I'm trying to quickly learn what I need to make this decision.

Comments (4)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

My minimum recommendations...

Here is my general spec sheet for new system.
    both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
    10 yr warranty on parts and compressor

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

My personal recommendation is Trane/AmStd, Rudd/Rheem, and Carrier/Bryant.

Depending on your location, I would not purchase a new system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

The XB series of Trane heat pumps are a bit noisier and are the low end of Trane but I generally would not describe XB series as builder grade.

I would look at XB14, XR13, and XR15 HP models. Normally I would recommend TAM7 var speed air handler. However if humidity removal in AC cooling mode is not an issue for your location/summer weather, then you could save some bux with the GAM5 high eff air handler.

Trane's sister company, American Standard offers similar HP models in the Heritage 13 and Heritage 15 pumps. The air handlers are identical to Trane's.

Not a fan of Lennox in particular their heat pumps.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Trane Heat Pumps

• WenatcheeSteve
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, tigerdunes. I'll check out the models that you listed. Definitely no need for humidity removal here. Do you recommend people to leave the fan running all the time, or just when heating or cooling? If all the time, would a variable speed air handler use the lower speed when not actively heating/cooling? I have always used the fan on "auto" mode, but the guys who gave estimates recommended leaving it as "on" saying that it would make the house more comfortable.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Since humidity is not an issue for your location, you can run the fan all the time with a high eff air handler. It will help with airflow and room to room temp constancy.

Go with GAM5 air handler.

I certainly would not go with var speed model since humidity removal is not an issue.

IMO

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

If your ducts are outside of the house envelope, depending on how much they leak, running the blower constantly can cause a lot of outdoor air exchange.