Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun2007_gw

Ductless heating & air experiences?

sun2007
9 years ago

Has anyone had any experience with ductless heating & air systems, like Mitsubishi electric?

We are looking to add heat & AC into bedrooms and a kitchen that has limited ducting possibilities (flat roof with no attic space, slab foundation) and one contractor recommended the Mitsubishi units. He's the only one to mention it out of 4 contractors so we know nothing about these type of systems.

Would love to hear any feedback, good and bad, if anyone has experience with them!

Comments (11)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Where are you located?

We have 2 units, one LG with 2 interior heads, one Mitsu that is a "ducted" ductless...

They work really well in milder climates where it doesn't get too hot or too cold. Or, if it does, it only does it for a day or 2.

We live in PNW.

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

I have 7 in my house. It gets very hot and humid where I live. I like them. I've posted quite a bit about my experience in this forum. I think it is much better than ducts outside of the house (attic).

• Mayaa
    9 years ago

Not just air conditioning system is the solution of heating but there are some other measures that you should take to make bedroom cool..........

• bsmith
    9 years ago

I personally wouldn't bother with ductless, unless ducting was extremely difficult and cost prohibitive. Otherwise, I would purchase the below 27SEER Fujitsu Halcyon over the Mitsubishi. Cool inverter product.

Fujitsu Halcyon
    http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/hfi.htm

• sun2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bsmith, could i ask specifically why you would avoid ductless?

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

bsmith, why not Mitsubishi? They are "cool inverter" products as well.

• jackfre
    9 years ago

What I did in my home was to, first of all, pull all the ductwork/furnace/ac and take it all to the dump. I replaced it with a Fujitsu dual for the upstairs bedrooms and a 25 seer/12hspf Fujitsu system 12 RLS for the first floor. It cools all three rooms on the first floor very comfortably. We remodeled the place last year extensively and opened the fllor plan and added some space. I put a new 15RLS in the new kitchen. I'm going to run it this summer and see how it does. being fairly centrally located I believe it will easily handle the whole downstairs and the 12 will end up in my daughters by this fall. We'll see.

Research this carefully. I would suggest that you stick with Fujitsu, Mitsu, Daikin. Check the dealer locator at Fujitsu and Mitsu. Someone asked where you were and you haven't responded. Minot or Miami? It does make a difference.

I found that I could separate my systems very economically. Well, Economically in that I rarely use the upstairs system. I haven't run either unit all winter. I ran both downstairs units all winter very effectively. The multi systems that are available today are not as efficient as the singles. So my upstairs dual is 16.5 seer and the downstairs is 25. I could have done it with a triple or quad in one system, but multi prices get pretty aggressive above two units. I bought the dual/single for what the triple would have cost and the system operates better.

these are outstanding unit...when installed by someone that knows what they are doing. Flush the guys who don't think it a good idea.

• sun2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are in the Bay Area, 1 hour north of San Francisco. The more we research, the more we like these units. Your feedback has helped tremendously.

• bsmith
    9 years ago

There's a point where ductless scales and suddenly becomes way less of a value than ducted.

If you are cooling 2-3 rooms for a total of 800-1200 sq ft, ductless makes good sense, although more a decision of economy over comfort. Start getting larger and suddenly the ducted system with its larger coil's surface area and fans have the greater ability to remove moisture and generate heat.

I don't think the argument of ducted vs ductless is as easy as some dealers make you think, especially the ones trying to push either system.

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

I don't see the logic behind either statement:

"If you are cooling 2-3 rooms for a total of 800-1200 sq ft, ductless makes good sense, although more a decision of economy over comfort."

You are saying that mini splits are more economic than a ducted system for small installations and the ducted systems are more comfortable? Please explain.

"Start getting larger and suddenly the ducted system with its larger coil's surface area and fans have the greater ability to remove moisture and generate heat."

A larger coil is more efficient in heat transfer?

In my mind, the mini split is a great solution when you:

1) want fine zoning
    2) have difficulty with duct placement that will force you to have ducts outside of the living space
    3) need to add heat or cooling to an addition when the primary system can not be extended

• Karthik Natayan
    2 years ago

Hi @sun2007 we are considering a ductless system for our place in the bay area. What did you end up with and since it's been a while, I'm wondering what your experience has been. Thanks.