Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace Coil or whole unit?

Posted by dancing_bear (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 23:14

My AC unit wasn't cooling and when the tech came to do the maintenance he found it low on refrigerant. He started adding R22 and did not stop until 10 lbs later. Under my maintenance plan I paid $67/lb for 9 lbs.

So I have a leak in the coil of my upstairs unit and need some advice as to what to do. They have quoted me $1400 for a new coil for the existing unit.

If they replace the unit, it will cost me $5050.80 for a new Trane XB13, but they will refund the $637 for R22 they added before finding the leak. Net $4416.80 vs. net $2037.

The salesman was pushing the need to move to a R410 unit and the associated resale. This seemed odd to me. I have another unit downstairs that would still be R22.

I don't plan to be in this house more than another year or two. What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace Coil or whole unit?

oh god.. first of all.. freon 22. should not cost more than 20-25/ lb. 67 is a rip off.

i would shop around . I have exactly same problem.. I have decided to go in for R410A for one more reason.: first of all it is new; second more efficient.
I have quotes for a 4 ton 13 SEER Outside unit and inside coil for LENNOX for 2400 only. see the link.. it is 3100 if I change the whole air handling unit., but all I need inside is a coil(EVAP).hence I would go for that. I am also checking Trane XR13 prices.

shop around. its early. and AC folks are not fully busy.
try to install LENNOX or TRANE.
go in for the new systems. threy are more efficient.
ask for a checklist like
Complete package includes:

*Indoor & outdoor equipment 13Seer efficiency with new enviromental friendly 410a freon.
*Service disconnect & electrical whip. (outdoor unit)
*Concrete pad for out door unit.
*Digital Thermostat (Trane)
*Liquid line Dryer (installed in outdoor unit to filter out non condensables for protection)
*New Gas Stop, Gas Flex and Black pipe (on gas furnaces)
*New Emergency Drain pan.
*Labor and warranty.

Here is a link that might be useful: example of an advt

o

thanks for the thoughts. The newspaper here in Charlotte had a story a few weeks back that some companies were up to $200/lb for R22. I felt lucky to only pay $67/lb.

Can anyone else weigh in on this?

Thanks.

o

If dollars are your major concern and your truly only going to be in the home another year or two and think the outside condenser unit is in good shape then go for the new coil. You will be taking a gamble that the outside unit holds up until after you sell the house.

The best choice however is going with an entire new unit. You may even get more money for your home when you sell it due to it having a relatively new system and you won't be worrying about any major additional costs as the new equipment warranty will be in force.

o

I don't like repairing old R-22 systems. I would recommending investing in something new that will be trouble free for years to come. I think you can find a better price on a new system. There are other brands less expensive that are good too and are usually installed inexpensively by independent installers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here