Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outside unit replacement versus repair

Posted by knpmyrick (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 23:10

I have a 13 year old RUUD 5 ton Heat Pump and the compressor has just gone out on it. The repair man has given me three options:

1. Replace entire system both inside and outside unit to get new warranty, upgrade to the new coolant, and improve efficiency and energy saving. Price tag is about $5000

2. Replace the compressor and fan motor in the existing outside unit. Price tag is about $1400

3. Replace the outside unit with a 5 ton carrier unit that is about 2 years old and still in great shape. Price tag is about $1600.

First question is are all these quotes reasonable quotes for the respective options?

I'm leaning towards option three since it is only $200 more than the repair but would like to make sure that the repair is a fair quote and isn't over inflated to make me go for option 3.

I know that I will eventually need to do option 1 but for now option 2 or 3 is best for me just want to make sure I'm getting a fair quote.

Second and final question: Is $5000 to replace the entire system inside and out a fair quote?

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outside unit replacement versus repair

Honestly? Option 1. Please provide more details on the estimate, as they should have been provided to you. Model number of new indoor/outdoor units? New thermostat? New lineset? What ductwork improvements are required and to be made to support the new system? To start -- and $5k is reasonable.

If the compressor has truly gone "out" in 13 years -- there is a REASON! Make sure ductwork is properly sized and that you select a good contractor who will perform a proper installation. Many, many equipment issues stem from previous installation issues. I can't hypothesize what caused the "death" of this compressor without more info. If I were you, I would not hesitate to get 2-3 estimates for system replacement.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 0:55

o

Putting price aside for the moment, what is the warranty on items1, 2, 3.

What are complete model numbers for option 1 and 3?

Depending on location, I think the repair price on option 2 is high.

Post back.

IMO

o

"Replace the outside unit with a 5 ton carrier unit that is about 2 years old and still in great shape."

Where is this 2 year old unit coming from? Why is it available? What is the model number? Has it been sealed and charged for the past two years?

Buying used HVAC equipment is risky. I would not recommend doing this unless you got a very good warranty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here