Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knpmyrick

Outside unit replacement versus repair

knpmyrick
10 years ago

I have a 13 year old RUUD 5 ton Heat Pump and the compressor has just gone out on it. The repair man has given me three options:

1. Replace entire system both inside and outside unit to get new warranty, upgrade to the new coolant, and improve efficiency and energy saving. Price tag is about $5000

2. Replace the compressor and fan motor in the existing outside unit. Price tag is about $1400

3. Replace the outside unit with a 5 ton carrier unit that is about 2 years old and still in great shape. Price tag is about $1600.

First question is are all these quotes reasonable quotes for the respective options?

I'm leaning towards option three since it is only $200 more than the repair but would like to make sure that the repair is a fair quote and isn't over inflated to make me go for option 3.

I know that I will eventually need to do option 1 but for now option 2 or 3 is best for me just want to make sure I'm getting a fair quote.

Second and final question: Is $5000 to replace the entire system inside and out a fair quote?

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Comments (3)