Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My central AC won't start

Posted by Lanjin86 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 22:34

I can't start AC today. The furnace blower and outside fan don't move at all. Feels like no response. Few facts:

- The furnace was replaced last winter. We did not test the AC since it was cold

- I vaguely remember we did a quick test of turning on AC few weeks back and it worked...

- Tonight, I can turn on heat and it works fine. I also turned on and off AC switch board few times and no luck.

The AC is 15+ years old. Before I call someone, is there anything I can try out?

Thanks in advance,

- Lan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My central AC won't start

Check breaker panel for tripped AC circuit.

Could be a faulty thermostat, loose wire connection.

The possibilities are numerous.

However, the fact that blower works in heating mode is a good sign.

IMO

o

I switched off main circuit breaker for 15 min and turned it back on, no luck. The fans did not start. Yes at least the blower works in heating mode which is good. I might need to have someone to check the wiring part.

o

Turn off the main breaker for 24 hours and If nothing happens call a technician.

o

lanjin,

You might want to consider calling the company that put in your furnace. did the A/C worked before you replaced the furnace? If it does, the people who put in the furnace could accidently wired the 24v wires incorrectly in the furnace. Your furnace controls the A/C also.

o

Will blower fan run if u set thermostat to "on" or run instead of auto? The blower fan is separate from outside condenser fan but we all know that. Seems vague when folks say "fan" runs. Which fan?

o

sounds like he fixed it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here