Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitcar_gw

Pricing Question

kitcar
9 years ago

I am having to replace AC for first time. I have 2 story house with 1450 sqft down and 750 upstairs. I converted my garage into additional room and it is currently not heated or cooled just use fans. Have quotes from 3 HVAC companies. 2 Trane and 1 Am Std. Existing system is 4 ton. House faces north and south with no windows east and west. Looking into zoning system. Curious because all 3 recommend 5 ton system with zoning. The current 4 ton system does fine even in the Dallas 100 degree summers. The 5 tons systems are running about 8500-9000 for 16 SEER and 80% furnace. Zoning is going to add about 3000-3500. First question do I need to upsize because of zoning? Second, is that a fair price for new system, zoning and adding supply and return for converted garage? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Comments (5)

• mike_home
    9 years ago

The size of the AC condenser is determined by the cooling load. The cooling load is the same whether the duct work is zoned or not.

How big is the garage and how well is it insulated? What is directly above it? Did any on the three HVAC contractors do a load calculation? If not then continue looking for a contractor who will do a calculation.

The prices seem high. However I would be more concerned about getting a system that is over sized and does not work well.

• kitcar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mike!
    If they did a load calculation they didn't leave it with me. Do they normally give that to you? The house was a model home for the subdivision so the garage was already finished out with windows. It is about 250 sqft and that is already included in the size figure I gave for the downstairs. I too am concerned about oversizing. Does the overall price seem high or the price for the system or the price for the zoning? Not knowing anything about HVAC at all I am at a disadvantage and just don't want to be taken advantage of because of lack of knowledge.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

Contractors don't like to share their load calculations because they are concerned you will give it to one of their competitors. They should at least show it to you and explain how they came up with a 5 ton condenser. A 250 sq. foot room is not going to add another ton of cooling load. It seems these guys are just guessing.

It is difficult to comment on pricing without knowing what equipment you are getting. The price to add zoning also seems high but to be fair it is difficult to judge without knowing what is involved.

It may make more sense to install a mini split system for the garage and not spend all the money on zoning. Most contractors don't do a good job when it comes to zoning. You have to make sure the contractor you pick can do the job if you decide to go that route.

• kitcar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really appreciate the response and education.

The equipment is trane xl18i with 2 stage compressor (16 SEER), xv80 variable speed furnace, high efficience cased coil and 950 control for 8500. They lumped all of the following into one price adding return to master bedroom, zone sensor upstairs, adding supply to foyer, adding supply and return to garage and adding 624 control to master bedroom along with the zoning system for 3600 for total of 12100. They also quoted a trane xv20i (19.25 SEER) with xc80 furnace along with all the zoning stuff for total of 15k. Pretty sure I'm not going with that one.

• udarrell
    9 years ago

You can try doing your own load-calc.

5-Ton seems too large for your home!
    When zoning it's best to keep sizing as small as possible.

When U get it right click on sizing so it will reveal sizing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Online Whole House load-calc