Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andymichalski

Quote for complete HVAC system replacement

AndyMichalski
10 years ago

Hi All,

I just got a quote to replace a 25 year old furnace and 15 year old AC and was wondering if it seems high to anyone else that knows more about this stuff than I.

The quote is for:

Carrier Performance 80 (58CTW090116) 80% gas furnace - $4084
2.5 ton evaporator coil - $1010
Carrier performance condensing unit (24ACB330003) - $2352

Total minus a rebate and "system discount" was $6600 including all labor, etc.

The person evaluated the house, measured all rooms, windows, etc. so I'm confident in the sizing, I'm just concerned at the cost for an 80% efficient furnace.

When I asked about a 90% or 95% furnace, he said that there are significant installation costs with that system needing its own PVC vent and fresh air pipes and it would likely be a few thousand more if I wanted to go that route.

Can anyone tell me their thoughts on this? I expected to pay $7000 for a new efficient furnace, not the 80% unit. I have another HVAC person coming tomorrow to give me a quote on a Lennox system.

Thanks in advance
Andy

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

A low end system...

Model numbers should be checked....

What size is your home? And its insulation qualities?

What size is equipment you are replacing?

And finally, what is your location?

Unless you live in area with moderate winter climate, an 80% eff furnace is a dinosaur....where is your ductwork located?...seems you may being steered by the dealer on the furnace efficiency...

I would drop this dealer and look for one who is interested in what you want.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The Carrier 58CTW is a 2-stage variable speed furnace. I would not describe it as low end, but I do agree you should not buy an 80% AFUE furnace either. The 24ACB3 condenser is a single stage model. I would describe it as being in the middle of the Carrier products.

My first suggestion is to estimate your annual heating costs in order to figure out the return on investment of a more efficient furnace. I also recommend talking to more HVAC contractors. A good contractor will spend the time quoting a few options and letting you decide what is best for your needs. You may not like to prices, but at least you have the data to make an informed decision.

• AndyMichalski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your replies! To answer a few follow up questions:

My home is ~1600 sq ft. Not sure of the insulation qualities but the home is 25 years old (we're replacing original furnace) and I've never opened the walls to check insulation. We bought the house 6 years ago.

I'm replacing a 75000 BTU Carrier and a 2 ton AC. Contractor suggested that the existing furnace was the right size but the 2-ton AC was a bit undersized so the estimate was for 2.5 ton AC.

My location is just outside Chicago IL so we definitely do not have a moderate winter climate.

Not sure how to answer where my ductwork is located as most of it is under floors or above enclosed ceilings.

Another contractor is coming out today and i'll be sure to get a few different quotes for different options.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

My bad...Mike is correct. This would be considered a middle of the road system. Condenser is 13 SEER Performance with up to 14-15 SEER paired with var speed 80% eff furnace. It would be helpful to know Mdl number of evap coil. Carrier Edge THermidistat would be indicated plus a box filter cabinet.

IMO

• AndyMichalski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The estimate doesn't specify model number. Just says 2.5 Ton and they gave me a brochure for a Carrier Performance Series air conditioner.

• AndyMichalski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, second quote included 2 options for Lennox systems:

80% AFUE Option:

A/C: 13ACX030-230 2.5 ton 13 seer
    Furnace: ML180UH070P36A 70K BTU
    Total price $5215

95% AFUE Option:
    A/C: 13ACX030-230 2.5 ton 13 seer
    Furnace: ML195UH070XP36B 70K BTU
    Total price $6655

Questions:
    1. Is Lennox lower quality than Carrier and that is why the 80% Carrier is the same quote as the 95% Lennox?

2. See any issues with the new Lennox quote? I want to avoid buying extremely effecient junk because the most efficient furnce is a broken one not running and burning 0 gas :)

Thanks,
    Andy

• sktn77a
    10 years ago

Lennox and Carrier are comparable but they each make several levels of equipment, ranging from the extremely basic ("builder quality") to the extremely expensive, top-of-the-line models. 90%+ ("condensing") furnaces do have additional installation complexities if you previously had an 80% furnace venting into a chimney or via its own metal venting.

Bear in mind that most HVAC contractors jack up their prices when manufacturer/utility rebates or state/federal tax incentives are available, so don't think you're getting the deal of the century!