Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frozenfred

HVAC leak from rubbing refrigerant lines

frozenfred
10 years ago

First post - be gentle!

I have a 6 year old Trane XL16i. It has had several issues, to include having the compressor replaced about 6 months ago. Although covered under warranty, I still had to pay for labor and refrigerant.

Well they're fixing it again today. The main issue being a metering tube was rubbing up against a bigger tube and a hole wore through. So now I am having to pay for more labor and refrigerant.

Here's my question: Should Trane or the HVAC company bear some of this cost? It seems to me like the lines rubbing can only occur from improper assembly or being damaged/moved during the compressor repair. The HVAC tech here now seems squared away, but he's a bit evasive about the cause. I'm sure he doesn't want to throw somebody under the bus, but he's my only source for info. I'm also being charged for a start capacitor. it hasn't failed yet, but the resistor was clearly burning up. The tech said he thought that was from the compressor working harder since it didn't have refrigerant. Not a huge cost, but the underlying cause is the rubbing lines.

On another note. When they replaced the compressor, I seem to recall they had the whole thing apart. In other words, the didn't work around the coils but had actually removed them. So I could see the tubes shifting during that repair.

Sorry if I am butchering the terminology and thanks for any assistance.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz