Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trane vs Carrier

Posted by a2gemini (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 19:09

We are thinking of replacing our almost 25 year old furnace and 18 year old AC system.
We currently have a Rudd (and maybe one of the few of the era that didn't rust out) and a Carrier AC system.

Our house is 2450 sq feet 2 story with an open loft area. We have an unfinished basement. House in in lower Michigan.

We have quotes for Carrier and Trane

Carrier - quoted 4 different efficiency ratings ranging from 95-97.1. All are 100,000 BTU.
Which is the best efficiency rating that is worth the price difference?
-Local utility offers $410 back and Carrier offers a rebate for the $75 for the 96% and $150 for the TN6100 (also 96%) and the 97.1% efficient model.

Carrier initially specified 3 ton AC but are reconsidering and saying 4 ton might be better. Carrier does have a rebate on the variable stage/speed model, but that is about $1000 more - is it worth the extra? The SEER ratings go from 13-18

Trane furnaces are also 100,000 BTU furnaces
The recommended either the a variable speed or single speed - 95% efficient which is lower than the Carriers.

Trane AC recommends 4 ton for our house with SEER 13 or 15

Carrier includes 10 year parts and labor.
Trane is 10 year parts and 1 year labor but you can "buy up" for a better warrant for $565.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trane vs Carrier

Gemini

What size and efficiency is existing furnace you are replacing?

What size AC. Are you replacing?

Any hot/cold spots in your home that need addressing?

I would like to see mdl numbers of the systems quoted.

Any of the quoting dealers offered to perform a load calculation for correct sizing?

Post back.

IMO

o

Tiger - I will pull the information up and send to back later.
DH says no one did a load calculation.

Our upstairs Bedrooms are harder to cool - but hoping the new Hardi siding will help plus GC moved the upstairs vent and ran through basement and straight up instead of the original 4 corners from the original builder.

DH usually balances the vents each spring/fall to maximize air flow for AC and heat.

Thanks

o

trane mfg also makes american standard.
you might want to add am st in to the bid process.

best of luck

o

I would want a quote from Rudd/Rheem as well.

Looks like existing has served you well.

IMO

o

Thanks
DM having problems, so have to run out of town
Back in touch with specs when I return

I never liked our Rudd - all of the neighbors had to replace their units after about 10 years.....

o

I went with Carrier/Bryant top of the line modulating furnace/AC combination! It cost a few dollars more but worth it! Quiet and nice big LED display for the controls. It runs most of the time in low fan but you cannot hear it unless you feel the vents or go to the furnace and listen closely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here